Virtual Research Analyst - LAC Group
Location: USA - Virtual - RemoteLAC Group is seeking a full-time, experienced Research Analyst to work virtually for our Library as a Service (LaaS) platform. The Research Analyst will join a team of researchers in staffing a busy and diverse virtual research desk, performing and managing requests for legal, corporate, business development, and other research from LaaS clients. All research and communication will be performed online and by phone, using both paid databases and open sources. The Research Analyst will report directly to the Director of Research Services and will work with other Analysts to complete research requests in a timely, professional, and cost-effective manner. Research will be delivered directly to clients using a virtual reference desk platform.
This is a full-time virtual position. Successful candidates must be able to cover the shift : 9 AM – 6 PM PT/12 PM – 9 PM ET.
- Perform legal, corporate, business development, and other research for LaaS clients using both paid databases (Westlaw, Lexis, etc.) and open sources (web searches, government databases, phone research, etc.)
- Communicate progress and research findings directly to client in a clear and concise manner
- Work with clients to clarify research objectives when necessary and provide timely follow-up on pending requests
- Maintain current understanding of research methods and tools, including database enhancements and updates
- Keep Director apprised of research activities, client concerns, and issues that arise in the course of research
- Work as a team with other Research Analysts to provide seamless service to clients, including but not limited to complex and long-term projects
- Provide training and updates to research team regarding ongoing client projects
- On occasion, manage small research teams to accomplish more complex research objectives
- Manage database access and other resources used for research
- Other duties as they arise according to client requests
- 3-5 years experience as a researcher in a law firm library, preferably with some business development research experience
- MLS or JD preferred, though work experience or a similar or related degree may take the place of MLS/JD
- Specialization in California Law is required.
- Advanced legal research skills performed in a multi-practice environment, including but not limited to docket and case law research, secondary sources, and general practice guidance
- Experience with corporate and business development research including gathering information from diverse sources (annual reports, SEC filings, Secretary of State records, case law, patent and trademark applications and records, lobbying activity, etc.)
- Extensive experience with Lexis and Westlaw and ability to quickly learn and navigate other databases, including but not limited to Monitor Suite, Bloomberg, Capital IQ, and Intelligize
- Experience with open source research beyond search engine use, including government and non-profit databases, think tanks and academic sources
- Exceptional client service skills, particularly via written communication
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills, with the ability to effectively and efficiently interact with colleagues and clients alike
- Current experience using Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, PowerPoint) as well as G-Suite applications (Drive, Sheets, Docs)
LAC Group is an Equal Opportunity Employer / Affirmative Action Employer who values diversity in the workplace.