Temporary Research Services Assistant - Open Society Foundations
Location: USA - NY - New York
The Open Society Foundations are seeking a temporary Research Services Assistant. Do you want to help make the world a better place with your descriptive metadata skills? The Open Society Foundations are a global philanthropy seeking a part-time or full-time temporary assistant, for approximately 6 months, to support cataloging workflow. Research Services supports staff in staying current in their fields and making informed decisions to encourage more open societies around the world.
This position will be employed by a temporary staffing agency.
As a Research Services Assistant, you will:
- Support original and copy cataloging as we perform descriptive metadata hygiene.
- Arrange and describe documentation and assets of enduring research value according to best preservation practices.
- Help establish best practices in our bibliographic and digital asset cataloging workflows to improve information discovery and access within a justice and human rights context.
- Bachelor’s or Master’s degree in Library and Information Science or Archival Studies from an accredited institution.
- Knowledge of MARC21, Dublin Core, and/or EAD with exquisite attention to detail.
- Strong communication, interpersonal, and computer skills.
- Demonstrated experience in processing physical and digital archival collections.
- Analytical, organizational, and time management skills and demonstrated ability to set priorities, meet deadlines, and complete tasks and projects on time and in accordance with task/project parameters.
- Ability to lift and carry boxes weighing up to 40 lbs.
- International or cross-cultural experience and proficiency in more than 1 language preferred
Timeframe: Approximately 6 months.
Location: New York City. This position will be partially remote and will require some in-person hours in our archives, following COVID-19 safety protocols.
Salary: This is an hourly position starting at $30 per hour, which will be paid via a temporary staffing agency
This position is not eligible for work authorization sponsorship.
To apply, please submit a brief cover letter, including your preferred weekly hours (part-time or full-time), and a CV/resume through this form. Applications are due by July 6.