Scientific Digital Librarian - LAC Group
Location: USA - MD - GreenbeltLAC Group seeks a Digital Librarian to support the NASA Heliophysics Digital Resource Library (HDRL) in Greenbelt, MD which maintains and serves observational, research-based, and model data; documentation; software; models; and other digital resources. We seek a person to help manage, maintain, and upgrade this infrastructure, in particular, to bring the broader digital library experience to bear on our situation. Our goal is to provide easier routes for scientific users into the interlinked set of digital resources that pertain to their research. We seek a forward-looking person who is interested in both fleshing out and maintaining what we have, and in pushing the limits of what is possible in accelerating Heliophysics research across the community. This is a full-time, on-site, benefited contract position.
- Augment and maintain a standards-based registry of HDRL resources. Assure that all HDRL resources have appropriate DOIs and other PIDs. Work to make these useful to the community and to HQ.
- Assist in making all digital resources widely known and easily discoverable and accessible; this involves a variety of skills, including interactive web page design and publicizing regular notices of HDRL capabilities and services.
- Coordinate work on databases and semantic technologies and/or related technologies for greatly accelerating and improving discovery and use of digital resources.
- Oversee streamlining and automating (as possible) the system for registering and using digital resource metadata.
- Assist in curating digital resources, recommending technological refreshes as needed.
- Master’s degree in digital library science, or equivalent experience in a library setting
- Background in a relevant science discipline, e.g., space physics, astronomy, earth science.
- Experience with semantic web and related technologies for linking and providing digital resources.
- Demonstrated ability to work effectively in a collaborative and culturally diverse environment.
- Demonstrated interpersonal and teamwork skills complemented by the ability to take initiative and work independently.
- 3+ yrs experience with web development and team software technologies (eg: HTML, CSS, Agile, Jira/GitHub)
- 3 years experience as a database developer, data modeler or programmer working with databases.
- 3 years experience in project management
- Knowledge of software development lifecycle
- Strong problem-solving skills
- Strong and effective verbal and written communication skills
- Ability to pass a background check
LAC Group is an Equal Opportunity Employer / Affirmative Action Employer who values diversity in the workplace.