Rights Researcher - LAC Group
Location: USA - DC - Washington DCLAC Group is seeking an experienced Metadata Librarian to work as a Rights Researcher for a major Federal Museum in Washington, DC. The selected individual will lead efforts in migrating and organizing existing media and corresponding metadata. They will also provide guidance for using the system to streamline workflows. This is a 6-months full-time (40 hours a week; Monday to Friday) benefitted contract position with the potential to extend contract pending budget allocation. Due to COVID-19, this position will be remote initially with plans to be on-site to be determined at a later date.
- Research possible legal, ethical, and policy restrictions for access and use of the Museum's digital assets
- Review existing object photography collection and identify public domain assets
- Maintain file inventory and record research findings in spreadsheet form;
- Apply rights/restrictions information to previously catalogued and newly created digital assets, making sure the information is accurate across systems
- Ensure digital assets contain appropriate descriptive metadata, rights clearance, and credit information for online distribution
- Enter or update existing metadata fields in the Smithsonian Digital Asset Management
- System (SI DAMS), including keywords and alt text
- Upload digital assets to the SI DAMS and other platforms for public access, if necessary.
- Attend meetings that facilitate project communication as identified and approved by the
- Contracting Officer's Technical Representative (COTR)
- Set up workflows to facilitate or automate the creation, ingestion, management, and distribution of information
- Establish and enforce institutional guidelines for asset and metadata management in the DAMS.
- MLIS from an ALA-accredited program
- 2+ years of practical experience in a museum or library, including database management, software administration, rights management, metadata standards and practices, file formatting, and data migration.
- Relevant experience in developing, managing, and stewarding digital collections in a museum, library, and/or archives environment. Knowledge of digital asset management systems preferred.
- Knowledge of metadata standards for cultural objects and images, such as CDWA and VRA Core, and a general understanding of other metadata schemas such as Dublin Core, XML, MODS, etc.
- Knowledge of rights management a plus
- Excellent technical and interpersonal skills, including the ability to foster a collegial work environment that encourages trust and innovation.
- Excellent organizational and follow-through skills.
- Excellent communication skills, including writing procedures and documentation.
- Ability to work collaboratively with others as part of a team as well as independently.
- Solid computer skills and the ability to learn new software.
- Solid analytic skills to improve processes.
LAC Group is an Equal Opportunity Employer / Affirmative Action Employer who values diversity in the workplace.
This is a one-step application process. Please submit your résumé and a recruiter will review it and contact you if we are interested in your candidacy. A cover letter is not required. If we need a cover letter or writing sample, we will request it from you.