Research & Reference Librarian (Animal Welfare) - LAC Group
Location: USA - MD - BeltsvilleLAC Group is looking for an experienced Research & Reference Librarian to work on-site at a major Federal Library in Beltsville, MD. The Librarian will work to assist in acquiring, evaluating and synthesizing research and information products focused on animal welfare in agriculture and scientific research. This is a long term, full-time (40 hours per week; Monday - Friday), benefited position.
- Analyze and assess information products using the National Agriculture Library Thesaurus (NALT) and other tools in order to improve the accuracy and coverage of searches.
- Conduct literature searches in bibliographic databases and other appropriate sources for citations relevant to 3Rs alternatives
- Conduct literature reviews to assist team members with requests
- Provide instruction to internal and external customers about literature searching, use of citation management systems, and improving indexing of scientific citations.
- Report tasks and results through meetings and written reports.
- Master’s Degree in information or library science with 1-2 years’ experience specializing in animal science, biomedical research, zoology, biology, or veterinary science. Knowledge of animal health, care, and welfare, particularly as these topics apply to laboratory animals, preferred.
- A degree in relevant field with 2-3 experience working in a library may substitute for a library degree.
- Practical knowledge of a wide range of techniques, methods, sources, and procedures within the functional information area (e.g., database searching, reference, web site management and use of new and emerging technology tools to share information). Ability to effectively search and use the internet and bibliographic databases.
- Ability to work alone and as part of a team and manage several tasks simultaneously.
- Ability to organize thoughts and to express them clearly and concisely in both written and oral communication.
- Knowledge of information management, thesauri, taxonomies, and the construction of bibliographies is essential.
- Ability to meet strict standards for quality and compliance.
LAC Group is an Equal Opportunity Employer / Affirmative Action Employer who values diversity in the workplace.