Research Data Librarian - Ohio State University
Location: USA - OH - Columbus
The Ohio State University Libraries seeks candidates for the position of Research Data Librarian. The Research Data Librarian will provide leadership in developing a programmatic approach to research data services for The Ohio State University Libraries. The Research Data Librarian is responsible for providing supports students and faculty alike through instruction and consultation, providing support and education for the use of secondary data, assists researchers with data management plans, data sharing and long-term data stewardship options, and facilitates the interpretation of data in various contexts. This position will emphasize collaborating with researchers in the sciences and social sciences, but may support data practices and literacies in a wide variety of disciplines and with other populations. The Research Data Librarian will also work to coordinate data education, curation of open data, and consultation activities. Through consultations, training, advocacy, and collaborative initiatives, the Research Data Librarian supports data practices across many phases of research and learning.
Reporting to the Head of Research Services, the Research Data Librarian will work with stakeholders and researchers within the Libraries, Ohio State, and external partners to address issues related to the discovery, use, and stewardship of research data. The successful candidate will innovate and collaborate with a team of colleagues in the Libraries to maintain/improve systems for description, storage, discovery, and access to tabular, spatial, and text-corpus data. The Research Data Librarian will lead in-reach efforts in the Libraries in order to spread awareness of library resources and services among researchers, including faculty, staff and students. The Research Data Librarian will participate in library-wide committees, activities, and special projects, especially those involving newly implemented technologies and data.
- Build on successful data management education and outreach to support researchers and scholars, as well as departmental or cross-institutional research teams.
- Supervise the Data Services Specialist for Outreach and Education.
- Partner with the Office of Research and appropriate personnel within the Colleges to increase faculty awareness of data mandates and funder requirements.
- Work with library and campus partners to foster open scholarship initiatives focused on research transparency, reproducibility, and openness.
- Lead and provide consultation services for OSU faculty, staff, and students on data-related issues and challenges arising from their research.
- Support data literacies alongside other member of the Research Services Department, especially for research that has specialized data management needs.
- Lead in-reach efforts for subject liaisons, Area Studies librarians, archivists, curators and other Libraries’ personnel around data support services.
- Lead efforts to improve systems for the discovery, use, and delivery of library leased or owned data sets.
- Represent the Libraries at campus, consortial and other meetings concerning research data issues.
- Demonstrate a commitment to a diverse and inclusive workforce and work environment.
- An ALA-accredited master’s degree or a comparable graduate degree from a non-US university (reviewed on a case-by-case basis), or a terminal degree in a relevant data-intensive discipline.
- Familiarity with foundational concepts of metadata, data formats, and systems for managing and sharing research data.
- Knowledge of the research data lifecycle.
- Demonstrated experience building and maintaining effective partnerships and collaborations in creative ways in a complex environment.
- Excellent communication and documentation skills.
- Commitment to librarianship, scholarship, and service, which are required criteria to meet University and University Libraries requirements for promotion and tenure https://library.osu.edu/document-registry/docs/1017/stream.
- Flexibility and creativity in leading change in an evolving, complex, and ambiguous environment.
- Demonstrated knowledge of current trends and technical, legal, and information policy on data repositories, public data sets, and funder data management requirements.
- Experience developing research data services program
- Supervisory experience in an academic or research library.
Please submit cover letter, CV, references, and application at https://go.osu.edu/data-librarian by March 15, 2021.