Reference Librarian - LAC Group
Location: USA - DC - Washington DC
LAC Group is currently looking for a Reference Librarian to work for a federal agency in the Washington, D.C. area. Reference and Information Services provides ready reference, research, and information discovery, collection development and maintenance, use of government documents, conduct proactive customized information service, instruction, and maintain electronic resources, and the library web sites. This is a long term, full-time contract (40 hour a week; Monday - Friday) benefited position.
- Answer the phone, respond as appropriate, including transferring calls to the appropriate Contract Employees or federal staff. The Contract Employees shall greet the caller, respond to general questions about the Library, circulation or renewals.
- Perform all interlibrary loan operations, including item verification, lending and borrowing, preparing and responding to request/loan forms, receiving and returning requested items, communicating with requesters and lenders, maintaining records, and reporting on interlibrary loan activities.
- Recommend titles for inclusion in the library collection based on requests from library users, which occurs approximately once per month.
- Respond to requests for information within 24 hours, even if the research has not been completed. They shall maintain regular contact with the person requesting information until the research has been completed and delivered.
- Conduct research using a range of electronic databases such as Bloomberg, EBSCO, FirstSearch, ProQuest, and Westlaw.
- Conduct systematic literature searches on a range of topics to support agency staff and program contractors and provide one-on-one and group instruction to customers who request guidance in using the catalog, online databases or serials, or other library resources.
- Master’s degree in library and information science from an ALA-accredited college or university.
- Minimum 3 years’ experience in provision of reference services, including training patrons to use commercial databases.
- Minimum 1 year of experience with the circulation and acquisitions modules of integrated library systems. Knowledge of Sirsi preferred.
- Experience searching online databases such as EBSCO, ProQuest, and Nexis.
- Understanding of how metatags work and how databases are structured.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office, including Outlook, Word and Excel.
- Attention to detail; demonstrated organizational skills.
- Experience working in a customer service capacity.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills.
- U.S. citizenship required.
LAC Group is an Equal Opportunity Employer / Affirmative Action Employer who values diversity in the workplace.