Rare Books Cataloging Supervisor - Backstage Library Works
Location: USA - CT - New Haven
Backstage Library Works seeks a Rare Books Cataloging Supervisor to manage a project at a Rare Book/Special Collections Library in New Haven, CT. This person will work closely with the assigned Backstage project manager and will oversee day-to-day operations at the library in New Haven.
- Long-term, temporary employment
- Relocation assistance available
- Immediate opening
- Full-time position, exempt
- Fully benefited position, paid time off, paid holidays, eligible for health coverage and 401K after two months
The expected duration of this project is approximately 1 year, working 5 days (40 hours) per week. The Cataloging Supervisor will be working on-site, performing original and copy cataloging of rare materials, working directly with library staff and helping to hire and supervise up to 5 full-time catalogers.
- Perform original and copy cataloging using RDA standard in MARC format, following DCRM(B), RBMS, and PCC guidelines
- Work in the library’s Voyager system
- Assist in hiring and supervising catalogers
- Meet daily production levels and standards
- Closely monitor the performance and quality of work of all catalogers, meeting project deadlines and quality targets for the project.
- Help interview, hire and train new employees
- Be responsible for the quality of cataloger output, including QA sampling, training when needed and other intervention as necessary.
- Be responsible for the profitability of the project, which includes meeting production goals, quality goals, deadlines and hiring appropriate catalogers in support of these goals
- Work with library staff on a professional level
- ALA-accredited MLS/MLIS degree or considerable professional cataloging experience
- Experience with handling and cataloging rare materials
- Work in a deadline-oriented, production environment
- Familiarity with library standards, including RDA, MARC21, DCRM(B), and LCSH
- Experience communicating in person, email and by phone with people of varying skill levels and knowledge.
- Attentiveness to detail and quality
- Ability to write clearly and concisely for multiple audiences
- Strong organizational skills
- Ability to work independently and productively
- Learn new skills quickly and thoroughly
- Basic familiarity with Windows and Microsoft Office suite
- Type speed minimum: 50+ wpm
- Ability to lift 40 lbs.
- Must pass a general knowledge test
- Must pass a background check and drug test prior to appointment
- Supervision of multiple employees, including hiring, training, monitoring production and quality, and maintaining appropriate staff to meet project deadlines
- Experience with OCLC Connexion
- Experience with any foreign language cataloging.
Please submit a cover letter and resume via email to Dawn Paine ([email protected]). Please also supply an e-mail address by which you can receive cataloging testing materials via attachment.