Metadata Cataloger - LAC Group
Location: USA - DC - Washington DCLAC Group seeks a Metadata Cataloger for an opportunity with a government library located in Washington, D.C. This is a full-time, long term position (40 hours a week; Monday to Friday) to be performed remotely. While this is a remote role, candidates must be located in the greater Washington D.C. area.
- Catalog and provide metadata for digital objects added to the client’s digital repository.
- Participate in the development, maintenance, and documentation of the library’s catalog using: client’s indexing and retrieval information tool, client’s Dublin Core schema, the client’s MARC to Dublin Core mapping, client’s authority file, and digitization specifications.
- Support client’s digital document management functions, which include but are not limited to support for the client’s Digital Repository (including backlog of technical reports and other items), operation of the electronic journal maintenance system, and file systems.
- Support expansion of media within the client as audio, video, still image, data series, or other content may be added.
- Provide digitization services for identified collections, delivering products adhering to the accessibility standards of Section 508.
- Investigate and evaluate new software applications to facilitate client’s Technical Services functions such as processing documents into the client’s Digital Repository, machine-aided indexing, metadata extraction, and digital preservation.
- Provide publications support, such as editors, desktop publishing professionals, editorial assistants, and graphic designers to assist client’s reports, informational materials, and other documents in print and electronic formats for print publishing or publishing on the Web.
- Continue in-progress improvements to the client’s Integrated Search Database.
- Provide special collection views in the client’s Catalog as required for government agencies holding to be accessed upon the request of the agency. These special views are an important delivery method for the client’s content to special providers and customers;
- Provide and maintain metadata design and functionality consistent with national and international standards for Open Archives Initiative (OAI), Dublin Core Metadata Initiative (DCMI), information retrieval, data visualization, and developing client related standards for metadata.
Additional Responsibilities include the following:
- Copy catalog items.
- Proactively research and acquire new datasets.
- Authority control and catalog maintenance activities.
- Configure new or existing software or development of new web applications that leverage datasets or collections.
- Participate in activities with stakeholders (user training, answering questions, committee meetings, outreach through social media, etc.).
- Master's degree in Library and Information Science is required
- Experience with Metadata and Data Catalog Management such Dublin Core, MARC, DCMI, etc.
- Familiar with common metadata standards used in libraries such as MODS, PubMed JATS, RDA
- Knowledge of 508 Compliance Standards
- Knowledge of library automation/cataloging platforms
- Excellent analytical and communication skills.
- Creative problem-solving abilities.
LAC Group is an Equal Opportunity Employer / Affirmative Action Employer who values diversity in the workplace.
This is a one-step application process. Please submit your résumé and a recruiter will review it and contact you if we are interested in your candidacy. A cover letter is not required. If we need a cover letter or writing sample, we will request it from you.