Library Clerk - LAC Group
Location: USA - DC - Washington DCLAC Group is seeking a Library Clerk to work on-site at a major Federal library in Washington, D.C. The Library Clerk will work in one of four technical service areas: accessioning of new acquisition, collections maintenance, serials bindery and preservation, and inventory management. Must show strong attention to detail and an ability to work without direct supervision. This is an ongoing contract full time (40 hours a week; Monday-Friday) benefited position.
- Tasks to be completed require physical stamina and agility and attention to detail, including: Continuous standing, walking, lifting, bending and stooping to retrieve, re-shelve, shift, and update collections or to adjust shelves and move books from one location to another
- Pushing/pulling fully loaded book trucks weighing up to 300 pounds
- Loading and unloading wire baskets or carts with books and unbound materials
- Balancing on step ladders while pulling, moving, or re-shelving materials on the top shelves
- Sorting materials in general category order and distributing these materials onto sorting shelves for further arranging
- Arranging materials on book trucks (in item-specific call number order) from the sorting shelves or distribution trucks
- Shelving materials of various sizes, weight, and quantities
- Using hand-wheels to access compact shelving ranges
- 6 months of prior experience working in a law library preferred, or any similar library experience
- Ability to follow detailed instructions and organize large quantities of materials
- Able to retrieve and refill library materials according to the Library of Congress Classification System.
- Ability to work in at least one of the four (4) library technical services areas (accessioning, collections maintenance, preservation, inventory control)
- Ability to sort, arrange, and shelve legal materials, including bound volumes and unbound pieces
- Ability to respond to requests for legal and legislative materials from the agency’s closed stack collection, locating and delivering items within 15 to 30 minutes
- Knowledge and understanding of various classification systems (Class K, Class JX, LAW) and the Law Library procedures for collection services and maintenance preferred
LAC Group is an Equal Opportunity Employer / Affirmative Action Employer who values diversity in the workplace.