Library Assistant III - Getty
Location: USA - CA - Los Angeles
Diversity, Equity, Accessibility, and Inclusion at Getty
Getty believes diversity, equity, accessibility and inclusion are essential to our excellence and to the execution of our mission. The Getty community values differences in the pursuit of inquiry and knowledge, mutual understanding, respect, trust, transparency, and cooperation. We are committed to creating a diverse and welcoming workplace that reflects the diversity of the communities we serve and includes individuals with diverse backgrounds and experiences. Individuals of color, women, LGBTQIA+, veterans and persons with disabilities are encouraged to apply.
The Getty Research Institute is seeking a 1-year limited term Library Assistant III. Working under the supervision of the Archivist for rare photographs, the Library Assistant will process the Photographs of India and South Asia collection. Comprising over 4,500 photographs primarily of the subcontinent of India, but also South Asian countries such as Sri Lanka, Pakistan, and Myanmar, the collection includes the work of 235 photographers. Ranging in date from the 1850s to the 1930s, the collection comprises the gamut of 19th and early 20th century photographic mediums from daguerreotypes to photochromes. Duties will include the physical processing and arrangement of photographic material according to archival best practices; assisting with data entry and maintenance of an existing database; research the collection materials; and assisting with the creation of an online finding aid in compliance with national standards.
Major Job Responsibilities
- Applies knowledge of libraries and archives to archival processing tasks, including but not limited to:
- Handling, re-housing, arranging, and inventorying photographs according to archival standards and best practices.
- Orders and tracks processing supplies.
- Performs data entry and database maintenance of an existing FileMaker Pro database.
- May identify conservation concerns and liaise with conservation staff.
- May assist with researching and compiling name authorities for photographers.
- May highlight project activities through blog posts, social media, or other outreach.
- Working under minimal supervision, the Library Assistant will provide the processed materials to the archivist for description in a timely manner.
- May supervise work study students or undergraduate interns.
- Bachelor's degree in art history, history of photography or related discipline preferred
- Minimum 3 years related experience
- Some supervisory and training experience preferred
All employees must be fully-vaccinated against the COVID-19 virus as a condition of employment. Exemptions from this requirement as a reasonable accommodation due to medical contraindication, disability or sincerely held religious belief or practice will be considered.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Experience with proper handling of photographic materials preferred
- Experience with FileMaker Pro or ability to learn new software programs preferred
- Experience with ArchivesSpace, TMS, or other collection management systems preferred
- Knowledge of archival standards such as DACS, EAD, LCSH, AAT helpful
- Reading knowledge of at least one foreign language (French, German, Spanish, Italian) helpful
- Strong written communication skills
- Strong organizational skills and attention to detail
- Ability to work both under minimal supervision
- Ability to meet deadlines and apply policies and procedures consistently
- Ability to lift and carry 30-pound boxes
- Ability to climb ladders
- Must have means of transportation to work sites at both the Getty Center in Brentwood and the Getty's off-site facility approximately 30 miles to the north
Benefits and Perks
Here are just some examples that Getty offers/provides for full-time employees:
- Medical, Dental and Vision insurance coverage, starting on date of hire. Getty pays 75%-95% of the premium, depending on the plan selected.
- 403(b) Employee Investment retirement plan – with up to 5% Getty Match
- Getty contribution of 6%, on behalf of employee, to 401(a) retirement account
- Educational Assistance and professional development
- Paid Vacation, Sick and Personal Days
- 12 Paid Holidays
- Many positions have bi-weekly Off-Fridays
- On-Site Fitness Center at Getty Center
- Community service opportunities
To learn more about our comprehensive benefits and long list of perks, go to Getty HR.
Equal Opportunity Employer
We are proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, ancestry, citizenship or immigration status, color, disability, ethnicity, familial status, gender identity and/or expression, genetic information, marital status, national origin, race, religion, sex, sexual orientation, veteran status, or any other protected status.