Library Assistant II - The Getty Research Institute
Location: USA - CA - Los Angeles
Diversity, Equity, Accessibility, and Inclusion at Getty
Getty believes diversity, equity, accessibility and inclusion are essential to our excellence and to the execution of our mission. The Getty community values differences in the pursuit of inquiry and knowledge, mutual understanding, respect, trust, transparency, and cooperation. We are committed to creating a diverse and welcoming workplace that reflects the diversity of the communities we serve and includes individuals with diverse backgrounds and experiences. Individuals of color, women, LGBTQIA+, veterans and persons with disabilities are encouraged to apply.
The Institutional Records and Archives department at the Getty Research Institute is seeking a Library Assistant II for a full-time limited term one-year position, estimated to begin in January 2023. Getty sponsors public events and lectures designed to expand awareness and appreciation of art and visual culture. A project is currently underway to digitize thousands of Getty event recordings and other analog audiovisual projects made on at-risk media, such as film reels, audio cassettes, video cassettes and tapes, CD, and DVDs. The Library Assistant II will assist the Institutional Records and Archives department in providing access to the digitized materials. The candidate will work both alone and in partnership with department staff under regular supervision. Partial remote work is a possibility.
Major Job Responsibilities
- Assist in creating and updating metadata on a variety of platforms, including wiki project pages, ArchivesSpace, Rosetta, and AirTable.
- Perform quality control checks on digital files received from vendors, including checksum verifications.
- Edit audio and video files and create access derivatives using Adobe Premiere Pro, Audacity, and other tools.
- Assist with research on Getty-sponsored events related to program descriptions, speakers, and rights issues
- Assist in preparing files for deposit in Rosetta, our digital preservation repository.
- Create digital object links to deposited events.
- Other related tasks as they arise.
- Bachelor's degree
- Minimum 2 years related experience
All employees must be fully-vaccinated against the COVID-19 virus as a condition of employment. Exemptions from this requirement as a reasonable accommodation due to medical contraindication, disability or sincerely held religious belief or practice will be considered.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Strong organizational skills
- Experience working with metadata and knowledge or willingness to learn library and archives metadata standards/schemas.
- Experience working with digital a/v materials preferred.
- Experience handling physical archival materials preferred.
- Strong experience with Microsoft Office software, particularly Excel, and databases.
- Ability to learn library-specific software applications, such as ArchivesSpace.
- Ability to learn a/v editing tools, such as Adobe Premiere Pro and Audacity in Windows environment.
- Ability to lift 40 lbs boxes and climb ladders preferred.
- Ability to push books trucks preferred.
- Means of transportation to work sites at both the Getty Center in Brentwood and the Getty's off-site warehouse in Valencia, approximately 30 miles to the north
Equal Opportunity Employer
We are proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, ancestry, citizenship or immigration status, color, disability, ethnicity, familial status, gender identity and/or expression, genetic information, marital status, national origin, race, religion, sex, sexual orientation, veteran status, or any other protected status.