Lead Cataloger - LAC Group
Location: USA - DC - Washington DCLAC Group is seeking an experienced Lead Cataloger with project management skills for a contract within a prestigious federal library in Washington, D.C. The role consists of working on one or more cataloging projects, while occasionally acting as point of reference for short term project catalogers. This is a full-time term position and must be performed on-site.
- Create original and copy catalog records for historical and modern material, primarily monographs and serials.
- Research and apply AACR2 and RDA standards for monographs and serials, while creating original records or upgrading copy cataloging records to I Level (OCLC full level) standards.
- Assign Library of Congress call numbers and subject headings.
- Apply both local (institution-specific) and national best practices for quality cataloging content.
- Maintain monthly cataloging production targets; as needed identify and implement changes to maximize production efficiency.
- Research and understand a wide and diverse range of subjects, including multiple scientific fields, art, and history.
- Actively document new processes, procedures and policies as needed, and place those documents in a shared knowledge base.
- Ability to work with multiple Western European languages strongly preferred.
- MLS from an ALA-accredited institution.
- Three years minimum of cataloging experience.
- Experience managing teams in a library or other environment preferred. Experience creating and documenting workflows.
- Experience with AACR2, RDA, Library of Congress Subject Headings, and Library of Congress Classification.
- Ability to work with non-English material strongly preferred, primarily in Western European languages.
- Some physical lifting and handling of boxes of books weighing up to 25 pounds is expected.
- Strong familiarity with Microsoft Word and Excel.
Nice to have:
- Familiarity with cataloging in non-Latin alphabets such as Cyrillic or Greek
- Supervisory experience in a library or other environment
- Previous experience working with remote teams.
LAC Group is an Equal Opportunity Employer / Affirmative Action Employer who values diversity in the workplace.
This is a one-step application process. Please submit your résumé and a recruiter will review it and contact you if we are interested in your candidacy. A cover letter is not required. If we need a cover letter or writing sample, we will request it from you.