Law Librarian - LAC Group
Location: USA - DC - Washington DCLAC Group is seeking a dynamic and experienced Law Librarian to provide leadership and supervision for a long-term contract with a prestigious federal government agency located in Washington, D.C. The Law Librarian will use knowledge of the literature of the law and library professional skills to provide support for complex research in legal and regulatory materials. In addition, the Law Librarian will supervise professional and paraprofessional staff ensuring overall quality control of work, and delivering timely services performed by library employees. This is full-time, 40 hours per week, fully benefited position, and is an excellent opportunity for an information professional with strong leadership abilities.
- Reference and Research Services, including knowledge of methodologies for identification and use of sources for legal research.
- Assist patrons in the use and finding of legal and technical information including providing instruction to library users how to identify and use sources for legal research.
- Provide support for collection management, making decisions regarding the identification, selection, and acquisition of the legal and non- legal resources needed by organizations.
- Provide overall Library Management, including strategic planning, marketing strategies, productivity, and innovation.
- Must have a master's degree in library science from a college or university accredited by the American Library Association (ALA).
- One year of professional law librarian work experience.
- Areas of general professional librarian competencies include the following: Reference and Research Services; and Collection Management.
- Knowledge of subject-specific selection tools and of acquisition procedures is essential.
- Knowledge of varied formats of print and electronic creation, storage, and retrieval of legal materials that are created, stored, and retrieved in full-text electronic databases, including systems of national and state case law as well as statutory and regulatory materials published in full-text in online systems.
- Knowledge of the literature of the law, including primary and secondary sources, accompanying finding tools, and adjunct publications in all media formats (Print, full- text legal databases and microforms). Law and Ethics: Appropriately uses and disseminates legal information. Understands the legal complexities that affect access to and use of information, including copyright, PII and sensitive data.
- Ability to locate pertinent legal materials and recognize their relative importance to the user.
- Working knowledge of the judicial, executive, and legislative branches of United States federal and state governments. Knowledge of the legislative process and the materials that form the legislative history of statutes.
- Thorough understanding of the processes by which law is created, including common law, precedent, statutes, regulations, and constitutions.
- Must have a working knowledge of legal vocabulary and terminology, including legal
- abbreviations and citation systems.
- Familiarity with and understanding of legal requirements and ethical considerations of both the legal profession and librarianship.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office products to include Excel, PowerPoint, and Word.
- Knowledge and experience in areas; research and development; database management; Web design and content management; library product evaluation; and independent research and project collaboration.
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills with the ability to lead and work as part of a team.
LAC Group is an Equal Opportunity Employer / Affirmative Action Employer who values diversity in the workplace.
This is a one-step application process. Please submit your résumé and a recruiter will review it and contact you if we are interested in your candidacy. A cover letter is not required. If we need a cover letter or writing sample, we will request it from you.