Instructional Services Librarian - NYU Shanghai
Location: China - Shanghai
The New York University Shanghai Library seeks an Instructional Services Librarian, a newly-created position reporting to the Head of Reference and Instruction Services. The incumbent will take a leadership role in supporting the English for Academic Purposes and Writing curricula and first-year programs, and contribute to the overall library programs.
- Serve as the Library’s primary liaison to faculty teachers in the English for Academic Purposes and Writing programs. Currently, these programs comprise courses in English for Academic Purpose (EAP), Writing as Inquiry (WAI), and Perspectives on Humanities (POH).
- Work closely with faculty to design, scaffold, and assess information literacy instruction in English for Academic Purposes and Writing curricula and serve as the primary instructor for embedded instruction supporting English for Academic Purposes and Writing programs.
- Collaborate with faculty, teaching fellows, and the Academic Resource Center (ARC) staff to develop programs that support core curriculum courses, including EAP, WAI, and POH.
- Work closely with relevant departments at NYU Shanghai and the Head of Reference and Instruction to design and enhance Library orientation programs.
- Liaise with different student and academic support departments on first-year experience programs such as NYU Shanghai Reads.
- Develop instructional resources and online tutorials, and contribute to the development and updating of Libguides.
- Provide in-person, chat and email reference services to members of the NYU community.
- Deliver research consultations to students and faculty.
- Assist in library collection development.
- Cooperate with library staff on library projects, inclusive of leading student workers and interns.
- Partner with colleagues at NYU New York, NYU Abu Dhabi, and across NYU’s global network to implement and enhance programs & services.
- Participate in library and system-wide committees and professional activities outside of the University.
- ALA-accredited MLS or equivalent graduate LIS degree required.
- Second master’s degree in a subject area relevant to the NYU Shanghai academic program preferred.
Experience, Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Strong commitment to reference service, library instruction and information literacy principles.
- Previous experience in instruction and reference services in an academic library.
- Knowledge of learning theory & pedagogy, including the ACRL Framework for Information Literacy, and educational technology tools.
- Demonstrated experience providing strong customer service and quality services.
- Demonstrated excellent communication and interpersonal skills.
- Familiarity with library tools, research resources, and databases; additional familiarity with Chinese learning & research resources preferred.
- High proficiency in oral and written English; ability to read & speak Chinese preferred.
For consideration, please submit the following application materials to https://apply.interfolio.com/89018
Priority will be given to applications received before July 19, 2021. Please include:
- Cover Letter
- Curriculum Vitae
- A statement describing your philosophy of teaching & learning, particularly as it would apply to the uniquely international, multicultural context of NYU Shanghai
- Names & contact information for three professional references
Terms of employment at NYU Shanghai are comparable to U.S. institutions with respect to research start-up funds and compensation, and they include housing subsidies and educational subsidies for children.
Please visit our website at http://shanghai.nyu.edu/en/about/work-here/open-positions-faculty for instructions and other information on how to apply. If you have any questions, please email [email protected].