Gale Family Library Head - Minnesota Historical Society
Location: USA - MN - St. Paul
JOB TITLE: #1509 Gale Family Library Head
OPEN TO: This job is open to all applicants.
LOCATION: History Center - 345 W Kellogg Blvd., St. Paul, MN 55102
SALARY: $5,511.00 monthly minimum
STATUS & HOURS: Full-time, regular (approximately 2,088 annual hours) position.
DEPARTMENT: Library & Archives
CLASSIFICATION: 21K Supervisory
HIRING MANAGER: Director, Library & Archives
POSTING DATE: November 4, 2021
DEADLINE DATE: Open until filled. Applications received before November 25th will be given priority.
The Minnesota Historical Society seeks a Library Head to lead the operations of the Gale Family Library, which serves as the gateway to MNHS collections as well as support for the institution's programs and initiatives. The Gale Family Library is a key component in advancing the MNHS mission: We serve all the people of Minnesota by creating powerful engagement with history to cultivate curiosity and foster a more inclusive, empathetic, and informed society. The Gale Family Library plays a crucial role in connecting the public to the collections of MNHS in meaningful ways that build upon a foundation of resources, expertise, and tools. The Library Head will be responsible for not only providing administration and management of library operations, but also for overseeing continuing development of a cohesive, innovative, and sustainable programmatic vision for the Library that centers virtual and physical researcher needs and experiences related to discovering, engaging with, and using MNHS collections. This work is carried out in alignment with organizational strategic imperatives, and in collaboration with other internal functions as well as external stakeholder groups, including diverse and under-served user communities. The Library Head reports to the Director of Library & Archives within the Preservation & Outreach Division. Founded in 1849 and headquartered in St. Paul, MNHS is the nation's largest state historical society with an annual budget of approximately $50 million (61% from public funding, 26% earned revenue, and 13% contributed income). MNHS offers a generous benefits package, including medical, dental, life, and disability coverage through the State of Minnesota, medical/dental, dependent care and transit expense pre-tax benefit accounts, to employer-contribution retirement plan options, supplemental savings plans, and paid holidays, vacation, and sick leave.
SUMMARY OF WORK:
- Provide management oversight to the Library staff;
- Manage the administration of the Gale Family Library around budgeting, policies, and security;
- Oversee the design, development, and implementation of sustainable and innovative Library programs that support access to and use of the collections by MNHS’s wide and diverse constituencies;
- Actively participate in and contribute to institution initiatives, short- and long-term planning, and strategic priorities through internal engagement with MNHS colleagues and by representing MNHS to external partners.
- Masters degree in library, information, or archival science and six years working in a library or archives setting including experience with public-facing reference service.
- Experience in operational administration in a library or archives setting.
- Experience in personnel management and supervision, including scheduling, hiring, strengthening positive workplace culture, and performance management to ensure success towards organizational goals.
- Experience in fiscal management.
- Experience in programmatic planning and implementation.
- Ability to work a flexible schedule when needed, including evenings and weekends.
- Ability to work in an environment where the air quality may contain dust, mold or other airborne particles.
DEMONSTRATED SKILLS IN:
- Creating, fostering, and leading, a collaborative team environment that values individuals’ diversity of expertise, experience, and perspective while working towards common goals.
- Delivering on public service, specifically regarding improving library services and collections access.
- Customer service and interpersonal communications skills sufficient to establish and maintain effective working relationships.
- Demonstrated innovative and entrepreneurial leadership or programmatic responsibilities.
- Multitasking, working effectively under pressure to meet deadlines, prioritizing and adapting to changing priorities.
- Working independently and taking individual initiative while also being able to collaborate effectively and contribute positively in a team environment.
- Communicating, both orally and written, including preparing and delivering reports and presentations.
- Creating positive partnerships and relationships within an organization and with external partners.
- Gathering data, analyzing, and organizing information into action plans.
- Computer skills, specifically Google applications.
- Current practices in library management, reference/research services, and collections access.
- Course work in the humanities and/or social sciences, preferably history or public history.
- Experience providing reference service in a high-volume special collections library or archives.
- Familiarity with restricted collections.
- Familiarity with developing and delivering instruction related to library services and resources.
- Experience with work plans, setting objectives, and prioritizing to meet evolving department and institutional goals.
- Active participation in professional library-related organizations.
- Familiarity with the collections of the Minnesota Historical Society and associated online discovery and access tools.
TO APPLY: Interested applicants must apply online at the Minnesota Historical Society’s career center at www.mnhs.org/jobs and include a resume and cover letter by the application deadline date. Should you have questions with the application process, email [email protected].