Foreign Language Cataloger - LAC Group
Location: USA - DC - Washington DCLAC Group is seeking a Foreign Language Cataloger to work at a prestigious federal agency on Capitol Hill. The selected Cataloger will process titles in German, Dutch, Bulgarian, Croatian, Russian, Serbian, the Romance Languages, Hebrew, Yiddish, and/or Turkic languages by supplying required metadata in MARC21-compliant bibliographic records. Hours for this role are flexible and can be either full-time or part-time.
- Utilize the Library’s ILS using knowledge of standard cataloging tools such as Resource Description & Access (RDA), the RDA Toolkit, Cataloger’s Desktop, Library of Congress Subject Headings (LCSH), MARC21, etc. to supply the required bibliographic information.
- Search each title to be processed to prevent the creation of duplicate records, process duplicate copies, and check authority control of headings used in access points.
- Complete the cataloging in the bibliographic record for foreign language titles in any subject area collected by LC, following the bibliographic record content guidelines
- Supply the required descriptive elements and Library of Congress Subject Headings for single-part monographic materials being cataloged.
- Provide dual-script descriptive cataloging data (in the original script and in transliteration) for Russian language titles, with transliterations conforming to the ALA-LC Romanization Tables for Russian.
- Identify and refer to LC staff any headings requiring authority work (name, title, or subject) for the materials being cataloged; the contractor is not required to perform authority work.
- Exercise care in the handling of Library materials to avoid loss or damage.
- Intermediate reading and writing ability of both English and foreign language skills for reading, analyzing and transcribing the works in German, Dutch, Bulgarian, Croatian, Russian, Serbian, the Romance Languages, Hebrew, Yiddish, and/or Turkic languages.
- 1+ years of cataloging or metadata experience including working knowledge of library databases, OCLC, AACR2, LC, and Dewey Classification.
- Must have expert knowledge of Resource Description & Access (RDA), the Library of Congress Subject Headings (LCSH), MARC 21, etc.
- Familiarity with the use of Cataloger’s Desktop and the RDA Toolkit is also required.
- Thorough knowledge and understanding of standard cataloging practices and applications in Voyager.
- Focused attention to detail and the ability to follow standard procedures in the physical handling and processing of materials
LAC Group is an Equal Opportunity Employer / Affirmative Action Employer who values diversity in the workplace.
This is a one-step application process. Please submit your résumé and a recruiter will review it and contact you if we are interested in your candidacy. A cover letter is not required. If we need a cover letter or writing sample, we will request it from you.