Director of Libraries - Worcester Public Library
Location: USA - MA - Cambridge
The City of Worcester, MA, with a population of over 185,000 residents, seeks a Director for the Worcester Public Library. Working closely with the Worcester Public Library Board of Directors and the City Manager, the Director will have the opportunity to provide dynamic leadership for a vibrant, culturally diverse, urban library. The Director will lead and support the activities of the Main Library, six library branches and two bookmobiles. The Library is currently undergoing a $12.7 million renovation of the Main Library, which will add an additional 8,000 square feet of public space in order to better serve the needs of the public. Centrally located, the Worcester Public Library is one of the crucial anchors of the current revitalization project in downtown Worcester.
The Director provides the strategic direction for the Library, with a focus on the particular needs of an urban library system. The Director leads and mentors staff, and directs the overall management, activities and services of the Library. The Director will have the opportunity to form strong partnerships and collaborations with key stakeholders and community leaders in order to strengthen the services, financial stability and visibility of the Worcester Public Library.
This is an exciting opportunity to lead a Library with a dedicated team committed to its residents. The ideal candidate will be a visionary and strong relationship-builder, will effectively communicate at all levels of the organization and will prove to be accessible and approachable.
The Worcester Public Library has a staff of approximately 100, welcomes over half a million visitors every year, and has a circulation of over 800,000 items annually. It is a member of the CW MARS library network. The Worcester Public Library has an active Friends organization that supports various activities within the Library. The Worcester Public Library also has the benefit of a strong, independent Foundation, dedicated to the Library and raising money for library initiatives. The Foundation is currently involved in a $4.1 million capital campaign for the Library.
Qualifications of the ideal candidate:
The ideal candidate may possess many of the following professional and personal abilities, attributes, and experiences
- Master’s Degree in Library and Information Services, or the ability to obtain the degree within an agreed upon timeline with the Library Board of Directors; seven to ten years of progressively responsible experience in library administration preferred; strong management and budgetary background highly desirable; or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Eligibility to obtain certification as a library director by the Massachusetts Board of Library Commissioners or the commitment to obtain the necessary education to be certified.
- A passion for providing exemplary public service and desire to foster collaborations between community groups and organizations. Experience working in an urban library setting is strongly preferred.
- Strong public speaking and presentation skills.
- Knowledge of library services and emerging library technologies.
- Thorough knowledge of budgeting and administration and strong human resources management experience, including collective bargaining.
- Excellent public relations and negotiation skills, which can be applied across a diverse array of constituencies.
- Ability to develop and maintain relationships with stakeholders who support the Library. Strong desire to be visible in the community and serve as an active representative of the Library at functions and other public events.
- High emotional intelligence and sensitivity to organizational, union, and political issues.
Click HERE to Apply!
The Director is appointed and approved by the Worcester Library Board of Directors. The position reports to the Library Board of Directors and works closely with the City Manager and the City’s Senior Leadership Team. Starting salary range: $125,000 to $150,000 +/- DOQ, with an excellent benefits package. Submit résumé, cover letter, and contact information for five professional references online by March 16, 2020 to Joellen J. Cademartori, CEO, GovHR USA, LLC at www.GovHRJobs.com. Questions regarding the recruitment may be directed to Joellen J. Cademartori, CEO, GovHR USA at 847-380-3238. The City of Worcester is an equal opportunity, affirmative action employer. Women, minorities, people with disabilities and protected veterans are encouraged to apply.