Dean of the Library - California State University, Fresno
Location: USA - CA - Fresno
Dean, California State University, Fresno Library (Administrator IV)
The Anticipated Hiring Salary is $170,000 - $187,000 and is competitive and negotiable depending on the strength of qualifications. This is a CSU Management Personnel Plan (MPP) position.
The Fresno State Library is the largest academic library between Los Angeles and San Francisco. It serves as the intellectual hub of Fresno State, where we encourage discovery, inquiry, and learning in order to empower and inspire our 24,000 students. We envision our space as a catalyst for investigation and knowledge creation, using innovative technology, strategic collection development, and creative techniques to serve our diverse student body and faculty. The Library provides forward-thinking services, including technology lending to faculty, staff, and students, a growing digital repository, integrated information literacy instruction, and student-centered campus partnerships supporting student success. Our collections are some of the most thorough in the CSU system and include over a million print volumes, hundreds of thousands of electronic resources, and significant special collections of children's literature, teacher resources, music and media, and world, regional, and local history. The Library also hosts numerous exhibitions and events to inspire and connect our campus and community. Library personnel includes 19 library faculty, 34 support staff, and 29 full-time equivalent student assistants, all working to create an inclusive center for our campus intellectual life.
The Dean of Library Services reports directly to the Provost and Vice President for Academic Affairs and serves as a member of the Deans’ Council. The Dean leads out in all aspects of library-wide planning, budgeting, personnel planning and management, operations, communications, and policy development, and works closely with faculty, staff, and unit leads. The position works with the Associate Dean of the Library in implementing the vision, strategic plan, and strategic goals of the library, and provides leadership and management to ensure accountability, effective services, and library operations.
Required Qualifications – Experience, Education, Knowledge & Skills
• Master’s degree in library science, information science or equivalent from an ALA-accredited program.
• Minimum of five years of management experience in a library and working in library administration.
Preferred Qualifications – Experience, Education, Knowledge & Skills
• Significant experience managing academic personnel.
• Evidence of successful internal and external communication and outreach.
• Successful record of fundraising and developing positive external partnerships.
• Successful experience working with faculty and staff in a collective bargaining agreement/union environment.
The Successful Candidate Will
• Provide vision and administration to library services, including orientation, training, and mentoring to support teaching and learning for students, faculty, and staff.
• Be responsible for creating and maintaining clear policies, expectations, and accountability measures for faculty and staff.
• Plan and implement budget expenditures for operating within the approved budget as required.
• Work with and support the Director of Development in fundraising, donor stewardship, securing grants, industry partnerships, and philanthropy.
• Lead the creation of library-wide policies and programs focused on collections, including acquisition, collection development and management, intellectual access, discovery and integration, assessment, curation, and long-term stewardship.
• Actively build collaborative and strategic partnerships with campus-wide stakeholders and programs in support of key library initiatives that enhance the research enterprise, bolster library services and resources, and promote student success.
• Demonstrate commitment to diversity, equity, inclusion, accessibility, justice, and belonging.
• The CSU system provides a comprehensive benefit package that includes medical, dental and vision plans, membership in the California Public Employees Retirement System (CalPERS), sick and vacation time, and 15 paid holidays a year. Eligible employees are also able to participate in the fee waiver education program. A summary of benefit information can be found here.
Deadline & Application Instructions
Applications received by July 1, 2023, will be given full consideration by the search committee.
Please click “Apply Now” to complete the employment application for California State University, Fresno. Interested applicants must complete the application and attach the following: 1) their most recent resumé/vitae, 2) a cover letter that addresses their specific qualifications and interest, and 3) contact information for three professional references.
California State University, Fresno is one of 23 campuses in the California State University System. The University's mission is to boldly educate and empower students for success through our values of Discovery, Diversity and Distinction. The current student population is more than 24,000, including a large percentage of students with diverse and culturally rich backgrounds. The University serves the San Joaquin Valley while maintaining deep involvement with the state, nation, and across the globe. Metropolitan Fresno, with a multi-ethnic population of over 527,000, is located in the heart of the San Joaquin Valley. The campus is within driving distance of Yosemite, Kings Canyon and Sequoia National Parks, San Francisco, Los Angeles, the Monterey Peninsula, beaches, sailing, lakes, and numerous ski resorts. Fresno boasts one of the most reasonable housing markets in California and offers a wide array of locally grown fruits and produce.
Equal Employment Opportunity Information
California State University, Fresno is committed to maintaining and implementing employment policies and procedures in compliance with applicable state and federal equal employment opportunity laws and regulations. Executive Orders 1096 and 1097 prohibit discrimination, harassment, and retaliation on the basis of a protected status: race, color, religion, national origin, ancestry, age, sex (including gender identity), sexual orientation, marital status, pregnancy, mental disability, physical disability, medical condition and covered veteran status. Fresno State's commitment to diversity informs our efforts in recruitment, hiring, and retention. We are proud to be an affirmative action and equal opportunity employer.
COVID19 Vaccination Policy
The CSU strongly recommends that all employees who are accessing office and campus facilities follow COVID-19 vaccine recommendations adopted by the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) and the California Department of Public Health (CDPH) applicable to their age, medical condition, and other relevant indications. The systemwide policy can be found at CSU COVID-19 Vaccination Policy and any questions you may have may be submitted to [email protected].
Following a conditional offer of employment, a background check (including a criminal records check) must be completed satisfactorily before any candidate may start work with California State University, Fresno. Failure to satisfactorily complete the background check may result in the withdrawal of the offer of employment.
The person holding this position is considered a "mandated reporter" under the California Child Abuse and Neglect Reporting Act and is required to comply with the requirements set forth in CSU Executive Order 1083 as a condition of employment.
This position may be a "designated position" under the California State University's Conflict of Interest Code. This will require the filing of a Statement of Economic Interest on an annual basis and the completion of training within six (6) months of assuming office and every two (2) years thereafter.
Fresno State is a tobacco-free, smoke-free and vapor-free campus.
Fresno State is not a sponsoring agency for staff or management positions. (e.g. H1-B Visas)
To apply: https://apptrkr.com/4207113