Data Curator - LAC Group
Location: USA - MD - Beltsville
LAC Group is seeking a qualified Data Curator to work for a major Federal Agency in Beltsville, MD. The Data Curator will assist the agency by developing and implementing functionality tests for multiple research databases including usability tests and will work with Agency staff to develop and implement ontologies and data dictionaries. Background in working with scientific datasets, particularly in the agricultural and ecological sciences is a plus. This is a full time (40 hours a week; Monday-Friday) benefited position. Contract renewed annually.
- Develop and implement functionality tests for multiple research databases including usability tests
- Work with agency staff to develop and implement ontologies and data dictionaries.
- Review and assess new technologies for automating indexing of datasets
- Create non-bibliographic metadata according to recognized international standards.
- Supporting novice users in: submitting, discovering, and downloading data and documentation
- Update and customize emerging data repositories
- Update data and metadata as needed
- Work with Non-bibliographic, domain specific metadata and associated controlled vocabularies
- Update and customize to emerging data repositories.
- Troubleshoot applications and user interfaces.
- Create de novo user help documentation.
- Responsible for requirements analysis including conducting user studies.
- Support novice users in: submitting, discovering, and downloading data and documentation
- Bachelor’s Degree in a relevant field (Information, Computer Science, Biology)
- 5-6 Years’ experience with database development and testing
- Experience in the development and/or implementation of ontologies and data dictionaries
- Detailed knowledge of XML
- Experience with digital repositories, metadata standards including ISO 19115, Ecological Metadata Language, Darwin Core, and Datacite; experience with SensorML is a plus
- Background or experience with environmental, ecological, and agricultural sciences a plus including the use of databases such as AGRICOLA.
LAC Group is an Equal Opportunity Employer / Affirmative Action Employer who values diversity in the workplace.