Biomedical Indexer - LAC Group
Location: USA - MD - BethesdaLAC Group is seeking an experienced Biomedical Indexer to work with a major Federal Agency in Bethesda, MD. The major effort required for indexing is the intellectual analysis of journal articles for the subject matter and the application of appropriate subject terms drawn from the agency’s controlled vocabulary, MeSH. This is a long term full-time (40 hours a week; Monday to Friday) benefited contract position.
- Learn and/or modify system required to continue successful indexing
- Create links to other databases which entails the creation of an annotated link between a record in the PubMed database and Medline citation
- Perform subject analysis and indexing of a journal article
- Recognize that an article requires gene indexing when the main point is basic genetic, chemical, or functional information about a gene or protein
- Must identify the appropriate record in the gene database and create a link between the gene record and the Medline citation
- Create a short statement or sentence fragment, often extracted directly from the abstract or article text, that describes the new information about the gene or protein that is reported in the article
- Add a data creation error flag in the system for quality assurance staff’s attention if an error is found
- Check article titles for proper Medline format and verify that the article in the system matches the article in the journal
- Other responsibilities include: Article selection in selective journals, subject indexing using MeSH terms, Indexing publication types, system online validations, chemical indexing and chemical query flags, and indexing comments, errata, and retractions
- Bachelors degree with a major in the biological sciences, or equivalent
- Familiar with medical indexing manual, other indexing aids, and MeSH
- Must have experience with PubMed and Medline
- Must be able to recognize if the main point of an article is gene or protein
- Must be able to determine if organism for the gene or protein is represented in Gene
LAC Group is an Equal Opportunity Employer / Affirmative Action Employer who values diversity in the workplace.
This is a one-step application process. Please submit your résumé and a recruiter will review it and contact you if we are interested in your candidacy. A cover letter is not required. If we need a cover letter or writing sample, we will request it from you.