Associate Director, Library Technology & Digital Strategies - UMBC
Location: USA - MD - Baltimore
The Associate Director and Head of Library Technology & Digital Strategies will envision a new library technology and digital strategies model for the UMBC faculty, staff, and students. As a member of the Library Executive Team, the Associate Director and Head of Library Technology & Digital Strategies is expected to have knowledge of trends in research and learning in the academic library setting. The Associate Director and Head of Library Technology & Digital Strategies collaborates with university colleagues to determine how the library can best support emerging research initiatives. The position does not include budgetary responsibility. While working with the UMBC Division of Information Technology (DoIT), the Associate Director advises library leadership on current, new and emerging library applications and knowledge systems that will advance the library’s vision, mission and strategic plan (https://library.umbc.edu/admin/StrategicPlan2018.pdf).
The Associate Director and Head of Library Technology & Digital Strategies is expected to be strategic and innovative to move the Albin O. Kuhn Library and its technology and digital strategies forward in a rapidly changing environment of research and education. Specific duties include:
- Leads the library’s investigation and implementation of emerging technology to better serve the library’s clientele.
- Develops a technology plan that builds on the University and Library strategic plans to address new opportunities and pursue possibilities of adapting and applying technology solutions.
- Develops a plan for scheduled updating of hardware and software.
- In collaboration with the Director and Associate Directors, participates in library planning; serves on library-wide, university and university system committees and task forces including the Library Executive Council.
- Represents the UMBC Library on appropriate state, regional and national committees.
- Represents the UMBC Library in the adoption and technical integration of new University System of Maryland and Affiliated Institutions (USMAI) technology projects.
- Works in partnership with the campus DoIT for discovery, planning and implementation of new technology and insures that library systems and computing are robust and operational.
- Keeps current with trends and issues in the IT industry, including current technologies and costs.
- Provides leadership in coordinating and defining technology requirements for library-wide projects and initiatives.
- Oversees Library Information Technology Services composed of library faculty and staff and student employees and works with other areas of the library and university that are affiliated with technology.
- Manage a full time staff of five and student workers.
Required Minimum Qualifications:
- ALA accredited MLS/MLIS or equivalent advanced degree.
- Minimum 3 years of progressively responsible professional experience in IT-related project management in an academic library setting.
- Demonstrated experience and scholarship to be eligible for appointment at the rank of Librarian II and to meet the university requirements for reappointment, promotion, and permanent status as outlined in part 6.6 of the Faculty Handbook https://provost.umbc.edu/faculty-handbook
- Experience with library technologies and technology planning and demonstrated knowledge of current technology trends.
- Demonstrated experience in implementing new technologies or services, e.g. virtual servers, immersive technologies, and maker spaces.
- Strong analytical and decision making skills.
- Minimum 3 years of experience managing and developing staff.
- Proven leadership and management skills.
- Proven experience working in a collaborative team environment.
- Ability to work collaboratively across the University to advance the technology needs of the library and library users.
- Excellent interpersonal skills including ability to communicate clearly, knowledgeably and personably both verbally and in writing.
- Knowledge and understanding of significant trends and issues in the application of information technology to libraries and higher education, including research support and information management services and solutions.
- Experience working with Windows, Mac, and Linux operating systems, client side computing and cloud technology.
- Experience developing IT policies for workflows and software support.
- Experience working with assistive technology for accommodation and accessibility.
- Demonstrated record of participation in relevant professional associations and ongoing professional development.
- Experience working with a larger campus information and computing group.
- Experience working in a consortia of libraries.
Salary & Benefits:
This position is a full time (40 hours/week), 12-month library faculty appointment at anticipated rank of Librarian II. Salary commensurate with experience—minimum salary $85,000. Comprehensive benefits. The successful candidate will be expected to meet library and university requirements for reappointment, promotion, and permanent status, as outlined in part 6.6 of the Faculty Handbook - http://provost.umbc.edu/faculty-handbook/.
Special Instructions to Applicants:
Application materials must include a CV/resume; a cover letter which addresses your 5 year vision of the University Library of the Future; statement on diversity and inclusion; three references including names, addresses and phone numbers.
Applications will be accepted until the position is filled, but full consideration will be given to complete applications received by March 1, 2023.