Assistant Director, Library Services - Pacific Oaks College
Location: USA - CA - Los Angeles
This position manages and directs major functions within Library Services such as the Campus Library (online and ground), Technical Services and Collection Management. Director is responsible for strategic planning, operational proficiency, and administrative oversight of his/her assigned functions. The Assistant Director is expected to demonstrate and maintain competence in functional leadership/management, mastery of subject matter and administrative management.
This position is located in Pasadena and reports directly to the VP, Institution and Education Effectiveness.
- Plans for future growth and innovation, set goals and objectives leading to the realization of the vision for Library Services as it pertains to the College’s strategic goals.
- Supervises library staff and student workers, coordinates scheduling and appropriate training and technical support, hires staff as needed
- Evaluates and improves quality of services, effectiveness and technical proficiency of staff within the operating areas.
- Develops, interprets and enforces operating policies, practices and procedures in supporting and optimizing services and operating efficiencies.
- Designs, implements and is responsible for the college's information literacy program, including course-embedded instruction, providing information literacy services and instruction to students at multiple modalities.
- Oversee collection development and acquisitions of both print and electronic materials
- Provides guidance and counsel on information and researches policy including copyright and intellectual property to the college community; performs data integrity assurance practices
- Collaborates with other college departments, organizations or functions in order to maximize and enhance student learning and college proficiencies.
- Process and prepare materials for circulation (cataloging), including completed theses.
- Manage and process interlibrary loan requests.
- Provides reference assistance in person, via email, or other live, online system.
- Occasionally travels to Instructional Site locations in order to provide library services or training; utilizes the necessary platforms, systems, databases, etc., to accomplish this goal
- Designs and implements library programs; design and maintain the library’s website.
- Train students, faculty and staff on library software and tools, provide in-class instruction on information literacy, APA and research techniques.
- Develops and manages operational budgets and staffing models supporting library services and objectives. Approves budget expenditures for equipment, supplies, travel, and student workers; in collaboration with TCS Education System evaluate national budget and select resources to fit school’s needs.
- Utilizes existing statistical data and creates metrics to analyze student-use behaviors, using this information to improve programs or services
- Creates dynamic library tutorials using a variety of potential software (Articulate, Captivate, etc.)
- Serves on college committees as assigned; and participates in meetings and events required by the college and the VP, Institution and Education Effectiveness.
- Completes projects and all other duties as assigned
ESSENTIAL KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS and ABILITIES:
- Ability to connect library and information science with related fields and the college curriculum.
- Ability to effectively supervise and direct both skilled professionals and semi-skilled assistant.
- Experience in post-secondary instruction is desirable.
- Ability to work well with individuals with diverse backgrounds.
- Excellent communication, student-service skills, analytical and organizational skills.
- Knowledge of library automation systems theory and practice.
- Knowledge of library workflows, documentation, processes, etc.
- Knowledge and experience searching for and providing information from article, journal and source databases.
- Knowledge of information retrieval theory and practice as well as delivery systems
- Knowledge of OCLC services and software (Resource Sharing, Connexion).
- Knowledge of online learning environments and instruction.
- Stays current in the subject matter through professional development, involvement in professional organizations, interlibrary organizations, and attending professional meetings, conferences or workshops.
- Open to exploring a variety of teaching alternatives in the library sciences - includes Flash games/gaming for learning in higher education, video tutorial creation, blogging/micro-blogging, podcasting, hosting guest speakers, etc., and is committed to web/distance services
- 4-8 years’ experience working in libraries (higher education/academic preferred), with 2 years of progressively increasing supervisory or administrative experience.
- Masters’ Degree in Library Sciences from ALA regionally accredited institution.
- Strong technology skills; proficiency with Microsoft Office (Excel, Word, PowerPoint).
- Familiarity with current themes, initiatives, trends and emergent technologies related to library services.
Pacific Oaks offers a generous compensation and benefits package, as well as the opportunity to work for a leader in the field of diversity and social justice. Some of our key benefits include: generous paid time-off, medical, vision, and dental coverage, company-paid life and disability insurance, 403b with employer contribution, multiple flexible spending accounts (FSA), tuition discount, and other perks.
Apply online at: https://tcsedsystem.wd1.myworkdayjobs.com/PacificOaksCareers/job/Pasadena-CA/Assistant-Director--Library-Services_R0002651-1
Pacific Oaks is an affiliate of TCS Education System. Pacific Oaks participates in E-Verify and verifies identity and employment eligibility of all persons hired.
Company Website: http://www.pacificoaks.edu