Assistant/Associate University Librarian for Public Services - UC Irvine
Location: USA - CA - Irvine
The University of California, Irvine Libraries seeks an innovative, flexible, and forward-thinking leader for the position of Assistant/Associate University Librarian (AUL) for Public Services. The Libraries play a central role in the vibrant academic life of the UC Irvine campus, a large public university with a national reputation for its role as an engine of social mobility, its leadership in environmental sustainability, and its commitment to inclusive excellence. UCI has a growing reputation for academic and research excellence that attracts diverse students and faculty from across the nation and around the world. For its 2021/2022 academic year, UCI received nearly 134,000 applications, solidifying its position as one of the most desired schools in the country.
Reporting to the University Librarian, the AUL will lead an enthusiastic staff in strategically planning leading-edge library public services, including instruction, outreach, reference, and access programs that address the needs of this diverse and dynamic university. The position also facilitates innovation for the Libraries’ Information Technology infrastructure, provides strategic direction for the Libraries’ user centered online presence and services, and ensures that services and partnerships at the Grunigen Medical Library meet the needs of UCI Health researchers and medical providers. The AUL will also ensure that diversity, equity, inclusion, and accessibility are considered in the development of services, policies, procedures, and strategies. As a member of the senior management team, the AUL is expected to actively engage in all aspects of the UCI Libraries and to serve as an ambassador and advocate for Libraries with campus constituencies, UC systemwide groups, and regional and national organizations.
As leader of the Public Services Division, the AUL is a key member of the UCI Libraries’ senior management team, ensures organizational effectiveness and efficiency and shares in responsibilities for strategic leadership, decision-making, resource management, and development of policies for library operations and services. While each AUL position has an individual area of responsibility, all AULs have responsibility for adopting a holistic library-wide view in terms of strategic planning, communication, and fostering an environment of innovation. AULs collaborate to ensure organizational success across departments, units, and divisions. AULs are also expected to play a leadership role in promoting teamwork, diversity, and inclusiveness within UCI Libraries and the campus. Each AUL also has responsibilities for coaching, mentoring, and guiding managers in the development, framing, and communication of strategic initiatives. In addition, AULs serve as the Libraries and the University Librarian’s representative and advocate to relevant campus, consortial or multi-institutional groups.
The AUL for Public Services provides leadership and coordination for the development, assessment, and evaluation of the Libraries’ services to support the teaching, research, and clinical activities of the University’s faculty, students and staff. The position provides strategic oversight for the following Public Services departments and units: Reference, Education and Outreach, Access and Operations, Information Technology, Design Services, and the Grunigen Medical Library. The AUL for Public Services collaboratively establishes goals and objectives for the Division and develops, evaluates, and continually improves programs and services. The position participates in the Libraries’ efforts to secure external funding for library materials and services and to promote library services and resources to the campus community.
The Public Services Division includes approximately 14 academic librarians and 51 staff employees.
- Master’s degree or higher in library or information science or other relevant discipline
- Minimum five years of increasingly responsible, professional, relevant work experience in an academic library, with a particular expertise in the delivery of user-centered public services.
- Strong leadership skills, including analytical and conceptual abilities to think multiple steps ahead and consider the pros and cons and likely outcomes of strategies and proposals.
- Experience leading, supervising, mentoring, and providing development opportunities for librarians and staff.
- Strong interpersonal and public communication skills including ability to serve as an advocate and spokesperson for UCI Libraries and the Division.
- Experience with managing budgets and assessing services.
- Ability to lead organizational change, engage in big picture thinking and build consensus around a strategic vision.
- Ability to independently investigate and assess innovations, come up with or inspire creative solutions to problems, and delegate responsibility appropriately.
- Ability to coach and guide others in the development, framing, and communication of strategic initiatives.
- Knowledge of emerging trends in higher education and new developments in reference, instruction, access services, facilities operations, and the use of information technology in support of a library’s mission.
- Understanding of and commitment to the value of diversity, equity, inclusion, and accessibility (DEIA) in an academic setting.
- Experience developing and advancing projects and initiatives that support DEIA.
- Ability to work creatively, collaboratively, and effectively and to play a leadership role in promoting teamwork, diversity, equality, and inclusiveness within UCI Libraries and the campus.
- Ability to build successful partnerships at the local, regional, and national level.
- Experience in promoting library services and engaging faculty, students, and administrators.
- Experience with Information Technology management.
- Experience with health sciences library operations.
- Experience in consortial and multi-institutional program development.
- Experience in developing and implementing strategic plans and projects.
- Experience in writing and managing successful grant proposals.
Salary & Benefits: Salary commensurate with qualifications and experience based on the University of California pay scales. Appointment is anticipated to be at the Assistant or Associate University Librarian rank.
Qualified applicants who wish to be considered for this position should submit the information requested: cover letter; complete résumé; a statement that addresses past and/or potential contributions to diversity, equity, and inclusion; and a list of three references (names and contact information only) via UCI AP Recruit at: https://recruit.ap.uci.edu/JPF07175.
Applications received by November 10, 2021 will receive first consideration.