Archivist - LAC Group
Location: USA - DC - Washington DCLAC Group is seeking an experienced Archivist to work on-site at a major Federal Cultural Institution in downtown Washington, D.C. Under the supervision of a Project Manager, the Archivist will coordinate and perform archival activities including inventorying and arranging historical materials, assessing materials for historical value and making recommendations regarding disposition and arrangement. The Archivist will rehouse materials, placing appropriate labels and provide descriptive metadata in MARC formatting using DACS and EAD standards to create collection and item-level finding aids.
- Processing historical manuscript collections extending to several thousands of cubic feets
- Developing and implementing recommendations for arrangement, rehousing, and disposition
- Creating XML Finding Aids applying archival standards including MARC, EAD, DACS
- Evaluate the significance of archival materials in its historical context
- Perform a critical analysis of historical subjects, individuals, and events contained within the historical collections
- Supervise archival technicians in the performance routine inventory and rehousing work
- Master’s Degree in library, archives, museum studies
- Minimum of 1 year of experience with processing manuscript archival materials
- Strong knowledge of the field of archives and libraries and experience working on focused, time-sensitive archives projects.
- Knowledge or archival theory and the standard principles and practices
- Knowledge of the principles, concepts, and techniques of archival work, including analysis, organization, and description of archival material.
- Ability to build and maintain professional relationships and communicate effectively with Library staff.
- Ability to identify preservation concerns and perform basic preservation duties such as rehousing and photocopying as needed
- Knowledge of historical research techniques
- Knowledge of American history, culture, documentary studies, oral history and/or other related subject areas and research sources to process and describe archival collections
LAC Group is an Equal Opportunity Employer / Affirmative Action Employer who values diversity in the workplace.