Acquistions Specialist - Cal Poly State University
Location: USA - CA - San Luis Obispo
The incumbent works independently to perform tasks in a specified functional area within a library unit. This work requires them to become proficient in aspects, methods, and procedures associated with their assigned functional area, including the ability to use judgment in interpreting policies and solving problems, and a general knowledge of overall library activities, policies, and procedures. Incumbents also may be responsible for coordinating work of student workers assigned to the area and may participate in hiring, training, evaluating and payroll processing of student workers.
Collection Strategies (CS) comprises the collection development, acquisitions, electronic resource management, document delivery and resource sharing functions of the library. Under general supervision of the Executive Director of Collection Strategies, Access and Systems, this position contributes to the electronic resources and acquisitions functions of this unit, as well as contributing to the overall services and programs of CS and the library. Primary responsibilities include ordering library materials; receiving and processing materials in the library management system and preparing them for use; verifying accuracy of materials received against orders placed; processing vendor invoices for payment; assisting in the maintenance of e-resource portfolios in the library management system; and verifying access to e-resources. This position also supports collection management activities including bibliographic searching, verification, and editing; and supporting metadata creation and maintenance workflows.
- Ability to perform technical aspects of work assignments including the ability to interpret, communicate and apply department and library policies and procedures and applicable work methods.
- General knowledge of library collection organization and classification scheme and ability to interpret bibliographic records.
- General knowledge of or ability to quickly learn academic library electronic resources navigation and workflows (electronic books, electronic journals, streaming media, and research databases).
- General knowledge of or ability to quickly learn academic library acquisitions workflows and automated systems.
- General knowledge of or ability to quickly learn the concepts and issues related to the lifecycles of both print and electronic resource acquisition, management, and discovery.
- High School or Equivalent certification plus two to three years of related library and/or clerical experience or an equivalent combination of experience and education.
To apply, visit: https://jobs.calpoly.edu/en-us/job/523500/acquisitions-specialist to complete the required online staff application.