Systems Librarian - UT Martin
Location: USA - TN - MartinThe University of Tennessee at Martin invites applicants for a Systems Librarian. Reporting to the Dean of the Paul Meek Library, the position provides leadership to planning, development, and management of the library technologies at the University’s main campus in Martin, its five regional centers in western Tennessee, and to the University’s expanding online programs. The library serves a population of 7,500 undergraduate and graduate students.
The University of Tennessee at Martin (UTM) is a primary campus in the University of Tennessee System. It is located in beautiful, rural Northwest Tennessee, approximately 120 miles north of Memphis and 150 miles west of Nashville. The University’s emphasis is rooted in excellence of undergraduate instruction. The faculty and staff provide a caring and nurturing campus environment for all students. At UT Martin, students have opportunities to engage in over 125 campus leadership and service organizations. The UT Martin campus is recognized as one of the safest in the nation.
The community of Martin and the surrounding area are both relaxed and friendly and boast a low cost of living. There are multiple opportunities to participate in various local and national civic and volunteer organizations. There are several local parks, as well as state and national recreation areas, including Reelfoot Lake and Land Between the Lakes, located within easy driving distance.
- Provide leadership and direction for library technology resources and services.
- Supervise one staff position with responsibilities or administrative computing.
- Manage the integrated library system, currently migrating from Sierra to EBSCO Folio.
- Assist the Dean of the Paul Meek Library with technology planning and project implementation.
- Provide support for library technical platforms, including hardware and software installations, administrative computing for library faculty and staff, technologies throughout library spaces, and integration with systems such as OCLC, SAP, Banner, and Canvas.
- Support digital content initiatives, including institutional repository, currently CONTENTdm.
- Coordinate and provide library faculty and staff training for library systems and new technologies.
- Serve as the primary liaison with UTM’s central Information Technology Services (ITS).
- Participate in aspects of the library liaison program.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- Master’s degree from ALA-accredited library program, or equivalent degree.
- Experience in computational science, data science, or comparable education and/or experience.
- 1 year experience managing an integrated library system and other library technologies.
- Ability to meet the expectations for tenure and promotion as a librarian at UT Martin.
- Familiarity with scripting and query programming languages.
- Familiarity with popular operating systems.
- Demonstrated ability to work with people with varying levels of computer skills and the ability to make technology understandable to the campus community.
- Effective written and oral communications skills.
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills.
- Supervisory and leadership ability.
- Ability to work independently and within a team environment.
- Knowledge about and commitment to building diversity, equity, and inclusion in academic library services and practices.
- Knowledge of library descriptive metadata standards and protocols such as MARC format, RDA, FRBR.
- Ability to design and execute analytics and reporting queries in library and educational technology systems to support assessment of workflows, collections, resources use, services, platforms, and outcomes.
- Knowledge of digital content platforms such as Digital Commons, Islandora, or CONTENTdm.
- Knowledge of EZProxy, OpenAthens, or other authentication software.
- Knowledge of database technologies such as MySQL or Microsoft Access.
- Knowledge and proficiency with web development tools such as HTML/CSS.
- Familiarity with emerging trends in academic library service, systems, operations and procedures.
This is a twelve-month tenure-track appointment with faculty rank at the Assistant/Associate Professor level reporting to the Library Dean. Salary will reflect the successful candidate’s qualifications and professional experience. Benefits include a choice of health and retirement plans, tuition waiver for self, and partial tuition waivers for dependents.
Anticipated salary of $52,000-$58,000, depending on education and experience.
Apply for the position through the UT Martin faculty-application site: http://www.utm.edu/departments/personnel/fac_emp.php
Review of applications begins immediately and will continue until the position is filled. Preference will be given to those applications submitted by October 1, 2021. To ensure consideration, applicants must provide:
- Cover letter describing interest and addressing required qualifications.
- Résumé/curriculum vitae.
- Three professional references with full contact information.
Candidates invited for interviews will be required to submit unofficial graduate transcripts prior to the interview; the individual hired will be required to supply official transcripts and is subject to a mandatory criminal background check.
Applicants are encouraged to familiarize themselves with the Paul Meek Library (http://www.utm.edu/library.php) and the University of Tennessee at Martin (http://www.utm.edu/).
Direct inquiries or requests for additional information to the search committee chair, Caren Nichter, at [email protected]