Supervising Librarian - Pierce County Library System, Gig Harbor
Location: USA - WA - Tacoma
The Pierce County Library System is hiring a Supervising Librarian at the Gig Harbor Pierce County Library. The individual selected for this position will plan, coordinate and supervise the operations at Gig Harbor branch of the Pierce County Library System; interact with and provide library services to customers; respond to public inquiries and resolve complaints; oversee and coordinate branch programs and the maintenance of branch facilities, equipment and collections; and supervise assigned personnel. This class differs from the lower level classification of Assistant Branch Supervisor by having primary responsibility for day-to-day branch operations.
- Ensures the delivery of high-quality, customer-focused services; assists in ensuring the Library’s services appropriately meet the needs of the community.
- Hires, trains, supervises, coaches, disciplines, and evaluates the performance of assigned personnel; ensures staff compliance with Library and departmental policies, procedures, and service standards.
- Prepares and maintains employee schedules; contacts and schedules substitute personnel to ensure appropriate levels of staff coverage; reviews and signs employee time cards.
- Assigns work tasks to staff; provides technical guidance regarding library operations and instructs employees in the use of library equipment; plans and conducts staff meetings.
- Coordinates and evaluates services and programs in collaboration with assigned Librarians.
- Engages with partner organizations and members of the public to strengthen services offered to the community.
- Interacts with and provides service to customers; responds to inquiries and facilitates the timely resolution of customer complaints; monitors customer behavior.
- Interprets and explains the Library’s policies and procedures to staff and the general public.
- Performs a variety of circulation duties.
- Negotiates, collects, and processes library fees and fines; books meeting rooms.
- Instructs and assists customers in the use of library equipment, databases, software applications, and the internet; troubleshoots computer and/or other technical issues.
- Conducts routine reference and readers’ advisory services.
- Assists in the maintenance and development of branch collection materials; participates in shelving, mending, cleaning, and weeding library materials; processes donations for addition to the collection.
- Coordinates the maintenance of branch facilities, grounds, and equipment; submits work orders to the Facilities Maintenance Department.
- Performs opening and closing duties; ensures the building is properly secured.
- Counts and deposits monies received from library fines and fees; reconciles weekly banking.
- Prepares, maintains, and submits a variety of branch records, reports, and documentation.
- Supports and provides guidance to Friends Group at assigned branch.
- Attends and participates in a variety of meetings, training sessions, workshops, conferences, and/or community events; chairs and/or serves on committees as assigned or appointed.
- Demonstrates punctuality and regular and consistent attendance.
- Brings matters of public concern regarding waste, inefficiency, corruption, discrimination, and safety to the attention of Library Management.
- Positively reflects Pierce County Library System’s mission, vision, and values to members of the public and to staff.
- Accurately communicates the Library’s policies to members of the public in all job-related contacts.
- Supervises Library staff, para-professional library and support personnel, and may direct the work of other staff as assigned. Performs other duties as assigned or required.
Required Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
Minimum Requirements including Education, License or Certifications:
- Master’s Degree in Library Science (MLS/MLIS) required.
- Three years public library experience, or any combination of education and experience which would provide the required knowledge and skills and allows successful performance of the job.
- Prior experience demonstrating successful leadership of teams and/or projects with or without direct supervision of personnel is preferred.
- Depending on area of assignment, a valid Washington State Driver’s License may be required.
- Ability to work evenings and weekends on a rotating schedule and to adapt to schedule changes on short notice is required.
- Ability to effectively navigate basic electronic record creation and storage (e.g. timecard/HRIS, performance review, network drive storage)
- Use of basic office equipment (e.g. PC, printer, phone, fax, mouse, security alarm)
- Basic keyboard and alpha/numeric data entry skills
- Basic PC navigation skills in a windows based environment; ability to connect and print
- Ability to navigate, search and use basic web functions and applications
- Intermediate MS Office Suite skills (e.g. Outlook, Word, Excel) to satisfactorily complete job responsibilities
- Experience with time and attendance systems or processes
- Ability to collect, audit, analyze data sufficient to formulate recommendations and make decisions as required by position
- Experience in e-book management (branch roles only)
- Experience with Integrated Library System, Inventory or Data Management system (branch only)
- Ability to document instruction, troubleshoot, and teach basic level MS Office Suite (e.g. Outlook, Word, Excel) to satisfactorily complete job responsibilities
- Troubleshoot and teach basic level questions regarding the above
- Presentation software
- Work order systems
- HR systems
Core Skills & Qualities:
Employees are expected to demonstrate the following qualities at all times:
- Customer Focus
- Problem Solving
- Change and Learning
- Positive Attitude
- Professional Integrity
Leaders are expected to demonstrate the following competencies at all times:
For additional information including schedule, salary, benefits and work environment, please see the complete posting at the link provided below.
- Builds Trustworthy Relationships
- Communicates Effectively
- Builds Successful Teams
- Manages and Develops People
- Achieves Results
- Facilitates Innovation and Change
- Demonstrates Leadership
To apply, please visit: https://piercecountylibrary-openhire.silkroad.com/epostings/index.cfm?fuseaction=app.jobInfo&version=1&jobid=563
In addition to completing the application, a cover letter and resume are required. To be considered for this position, please apply and submit required documentation through the Pierce County Library site no later than 5 p.m. on Thursday, April 25, 2019. Applications received after the deadline and resumes received without cover letter will not be considered.