Special Collections Librarian for the Arne Nixon Center - CSU Fresno
Location: USA - CA - Fresno
Special Collections Librarian for the Arne Nixon Center
California State University, Fresno
Henry Madden Library
Anticipated starting salary: $86,000 annually
The Henry Madden Library seeks a highly motivated, creative, and forward-thinking Special Collections Librarian for the Arne Nixon Center for the Study of Children's Literature, who will curate the collection and bring it to its full potential as a research collection. This is a full-time, tenure-track librarian faculty position. The successful candidate will collaborate with teaching faculty from multiple disciplines (for example, Art and Design, Art history, English, Creative Writing, and History) to develop high-impact classroom practices and library instruction sessions that advance the University's goal of excellence in teaching, learning and innovation. Experience with applications to textual analysis, creative writing, illustration, and the history of children's literature (especially as it relates to racial and ethnic diversity, foreign language materials, LGBTQ+ issues, and social justice) is highly desirable. The ANC Librarian serves as an ambassador from the Library to the University and the larger community, finding a balance between the academic purpose of the ANC while using its collections and programs to build relationships in the community to support and expand the Center. The ANC Librarian is an active participant in the shared governance of the library and in the academic life of the campus. The successful candidate will be a fully integrated member of the library faculty and will be expected to meet all of the requirements for retention, tenure and promotion, including service to the campus and the community. Tenure-track librarians receive an official probationary plan, mentoring, and funding. Specific assignments are dependent on departmental needs and the background of the individual.
- An earned M.I.L.S (or equivalent) from an American Library Association-accredited institution or program recognized by the American Library Association as an international equivalent.
- Three to five years professional experience as a special collections librarian.
- Minimum of one year of professional experience providing research, reference and instruction support in an academic or research environment.
- Minimum of one year of professional experience managing the daily activities of a unit or department.
- Minimum of two years of successful supervisory experience.
- Demonstrated curatorial, organizational and planning skills with excellent attention to detail.
- Demonstrated ability to work effectively, both independently and in cooperation with faculty, staff, and students from diverse racial, ethnic, cultural, and socioeconomic backgrounds regardless of age, gender, marital status, religion, sexual orientation or disabilities.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.Preferred Experience:
- Demonstrated understanding of children's literature research and research trends in the field.
- Demonstrated facility and successful experience with current and emerging technology as it applies to collection management, outreach, and instruction.
- Experience creating or maintaining a collection development policy for a multifaceted collection.
- Experience working with digital collections.
- Experience with overseeing, planning and preparing department or collection budgets.
- Experience in developing working partnerships with diverse academic departments and campus units and organizations.
- Demonstrated ability to build community relationships and increase support for the Center.
- Experience with planning, organizing and executing successful events.
- Experience designing and setting up exhibits.
- Experience with grants and private fundraising.
- Experience with working with an advisory board or friends group.
- Experience with copyright issues and advanced research assistance.
- Excellent presentation skills.
- Experience with assessment tools and methods.
- Foreign language ability.
Apply online at https://apptrkr.com/1906396
For best consideration, apply by May 25, 2020. This position vacancy remains open until filled.
Committee Information Search Chair: Tammy Lau
Henry Madden Library
Email: [email protected]