Serials Library Technician - LAC Group
Location: USA - DC - Washington DC
LAC Group is seeking Serials Library Technician to work on-site at a major Federal library in Washington, D.C. The library technician will work in one of four technical service areas: accessioning of new acquisitions, collections maintenance, serials bindery and preservation, and inventory management. The selected candidate must demonstrate strong attention to detail and an ability to work without direct supervision. This is a full time (40 hour a week; Monday-Friday) benefited contract position for 12 months.
- Pulling and returning Serial Set volumes from the stacks
- Evaluating Serial Set volumes for completeness and entering information into a spreadsheet or database for project tracking
- Requesting Serial Set volumes from Ft. Meade
- Swapping on-site and Ft. Meade Serial Set volumes (printing and attaching labels to volumes)
- Packing Serial Set volumes for shipment to digitization vendor
- Quality control of digitized objects
- Evaluation of delivered digital objects for completeness
- Review of digital files in Sampler – flagging images and documents for rework
- Evaluation of directory structure and file naming – flagging incorrect directory and file naming for rework
- Tasks to be completed require physical stamina and agility and attention to detail, including:
- Continuous standing, walking, lifting, bending and stooping to retrieve, re-shelve, shift, and update collections or to adjust shelves and move books from one location to another
- Pushing/pulling fully loaded book trucks weighing up to 300 pounds
- Loading and unloading wire baskets or carts with books and unbound materials
- Balancing on step ladders while pulling, moving, or re-shelving materials on the top shelves
- Sorting materials in general category order and distributing these materials onto sorting shelves for further arranging
- Arranging materials on book trucks (in item-specific call number order) from the sorting shelves or distribution trucks
- Shelving materials of various sizes, weight, and quantities
- Using hand-wheels to access compact shelving ranges
- Ability to follow detailed instructions and organize large quantities of materials
- Experience retrieving and refiling library materials according to the Library of Congress Classification System.
- Demonstrated experience in at least one of the four (4) library technical services areas (accessioning, collections maintenance, preservation, inventory control).
- Ability to sort, arrange, and shelve legal materials, including bound volumes and unbound pieces; the ability to respond to requests for legal and legislative materials from the agency’s closed stack collection, locating and delivering items within 15 to 30 minutes
LAC Group is an Equal Opportunity Employer / Affirmative Action Employer who values diversity in the workplace.