Reference Manager - LAC Group
Location: USA - DC - Washington DC
LAC Group is seeking a qualified Reference Manager to work for a Federal Agency in Washington, D.C. The Reference Manager will lead a team that responds to reference questions, prepares online research guides, contributes to the agency’s projects and envisions additional projects for the Reference Team to implement. This is a 6 months full time (40 hours a week; Monday to Friday) contract position with benefits. Must be a US citizen and be able to pass a background check.
- Supervise, schedule, train and evaluate reference librarians
- Recognizes areas of improvement for both the physical and digital collections; creates a project plan and directs the reference team in the completion of projects on time.
- Works with the Webmaster to contribute content to approved Department sites
- Meets regularly with the Project Manager and government client to discuss ongoing projects and future opportunities
- Write standard operating procedures for Reference Team
- Provides reference services through occasional duty at the reference desk and by responding to virtual information requests using a wide variety of databases including EBSCO social science databases, news databases, and legal and legislative databases.
- Creates new opportunities for outreach activities to promote the use of the agency’s services and collections.
- In coordination with the Project Manager organize projects that contribute to the functionality and modernization of the library.
- Suggest new e-resources and other services; participates in trials; makes recommendations.
- Investigates, researches and participates in the implementation of technologies that make it easier for clients to access information resources online without assistance.
- Stays abreast of information needs and trends within the areas of education policy and research; stays abreast of trends in library and information technology.
- Master’s degree in Library/Information Science from an institution accredited by the American Library Association
- Demonstrate at least 3 years of effective project management responsibility
- Minimum 6 years’ experience in the provision of reference services
- Extensive experience as a project manager/supervisor in a research library
- A background in education resources or academic experience is desired
- Prior experience managing a large team of people, preferably 5+
- Demonstrate a broad cross-section of library science expertise and have a proven record of success in applying skills and expertise in a major library setting, particularly within the federal government
- Ability to recommend items for withdrawal, or new library resources to update the collection or fill knowledge gaps within the collection as needed
- Experience searching online databases such as EBSCO, ProQuest, and Nexis.
- Experience in the use of Microsoft software, including Word, Excel, and Outlook
- Ability to work in a team environment with federal staff, contractors as well as independently
- Staying abreast of current developments in library services and information technology
- Attention to detail; demonstrated organizational skills.Excellent customer service skills.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills.
- U.S. citizenship required.
LAC Group is an Equal Opportunity Employer / Affirmative Action Employer who values diversity in the workplace.