Reference Librarian - LAC Group
Location: USA - DC - Washington DC
LAC Group is seeking a qualified Reference Librarian to work for a Federal Agency in Washington, D.C. The Reference Librarian responds to reference questions, prepares online research guides, and contributes to library projects. This is a full time (40 hours a week; Monday to Friday) with benefits position starting end of April or May 2019. Must be a US citizen and be able to pass a background check.
- Provides reference services through regular duty at the reference desk and by responding to virtual information requests using a wide variety of databases including EBSCO social science databases, news databases, and legal and legislative databases.
- Responds to complex reference questions, including conducting systematic literature searches that produce thousands of relevant citations; synthesizes and packages results in a report template.
- Prepares online research guides on education topics by working closely with the client to develop content and a user-friendly architecture.
- Evaluates new e-resources and other services; participates in trials; makes recommendations.
- Investigates, researches and participates in the implementation of technologies that make it easier for clients to access information resources online without assistance.
- Manages or contributes to special projects as assigned.
- Trains clients in effective search techniques for e-resources.
- Contributes to outreach activities to promote the use of the agency's services and collections.
- Stays abreast of information needs and trends within the areas of education policy and research; stays abreast of trends in library and information technology.
- Contributes to the reporting requirements of the contract, including inputting monthly statistics into the management information system.
- Master’s degree in library and information science from an ALA-accredited college or university.
- Minimum 3 years’ experience in the provision of reference services, including training patrons to use commercial databases.
- Experience using integrated library systems.
- Experience searching online databases such as EBSCO, ProQuest, and Nexis.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office, including Outlook, Word and Excel.
- Attention to detail; demonstrated organizational skills.
- Excellent customer service skills.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills.
- U.S. citizenship required.
LAC Group is an Equal Opportunity Employer / Affirmative Action Employer who values diversity in the workplace.