Librarian - Southwestern College
Location: USA - CA - Chula VistaSouthwestern Community College District (SCCD) is seeking a full-time, tenure track, equity-focused faculty member committed to serving its culturally diverse student population in the position of Librarian. Southwestern Community College District seeks faculty who will foster an inclusive learning environment through equity-minded teaching, leadership, and service to students working toward goals of university transfer, associate degree and certificate completion, employment advancement, and personal growth.
Under the direction of the Dean of Instructional Support Services and in collaboration with the Library Department Chair, the librarians are responsible for providing services such as reference, instruction, collection development, technical services, and outreach.
Knowledge & Abilities:
- Subject matter preparation
- Experience in teaching general education/non-major, general information competence.
- Experience developing and teaching inquiry and research based labs.
- Evidence of outstanding ability as a faculty member
- Understanding of, the role and purpose of the community college.
- Ability to evaluate one’s andragogy and its effectiveness in facilitating student learning.
- Ability to use teaching methods that engage racially, ethnically, academically, and culturally diverse students; promote critical thinking and emphasize cooperation and collaboration.
- Sensitivity to, and respect for a rich and diverse academic environment, inclusive of students, faculty, and staff of varying social, economic, cultural, ideological and ethnic backgrounds, and those with disabilities.
- Commitment to collegiality and collaboration by working as a team with faculty and staff enhancing instruction, curriculum, and student success; as well as in the planning of class schedules and teaching rotations.
- Knowledge and practice of culturally responsive pedagogy and andragogy that supports student-centered, self-reflective, and student-capable approaches which includes a wide range of institutional delivery systems.
- Ability to teach online courses effectively.
- Commitment to professional responsibilities and associations outside of the classroom through contributions to the department, division and college activities.
- Master’s Degree in Library Science, or Library and Information Science or the equivalent OR a valid California Community College Instructor Credential in Library Science.
- Commitment and success working in a diverse and multicultural community.
- Experience and expertise in culturally responsive teaching in the discipline.
- Experience and ability to address equity gaps within the discipline in the classroom.
- Knowledge of what is means to work in a designated Hispanic-Serving Institution in regards to institutional, department and instructional practices.
- Master’s degree from an American Library Association (ALA) accredited school.
- Experience in general areas of librarianship such as reference, and public services, instruction, outreach, and collection development.
- Strong interpersonal skills including the ability to establish and maintain positive relationships with students, faculty, staff and administrators.
- Ability to work collaboratively with all librarians and staff.
- Ability to be flexible with work assignments and scheduling.
- Experience working with and assisting in the use of integrated library systems and academic electronic library resources.
- Knowledge of or experience in the management or coordination of academic electronic library resources.
- Knowledge of current teaching pedagogies and experience designing and implementing active learning activities.
- Experience or interest in developing programs and materials to support the needs of students including first-year experience, first-generation, distance learners, and disproportionately impacted groups.
- Familiarity with SB 1359 and the role of the library in Open Education Resources (OER)
- Experience or interest in promoting libraries through social media, integrating library resources in learning management platforms, and creating media and resources to facilitate library access.
- Familiarity using technology in the teaching environment, including course management systems such as Canvas.
- Bilingual English/Spanish.
Application instructions:For additional details & to apply: https://jobs.swccd.edu/postings/2977
This is a one-step application process. Please submit your résumé and a recruiter will review it and contact you if we are interested in your candidacy. A cover letter is not required. If we need a cover letter or writing sample, we will request it from you.