Law Librarian - LAC Group
Location: USA - DC - Washington DCLAC Group is seeking a Law Librarian with experience in administrative law, including Federal and administrative cases, statutory and regulatory law, legislative and regulatory history, and other areas and related topics impacting the work of the Federal Mine Safety and Health Review Commission (FMSHRC). The Librarian will be responsible for maintaining the Library’s SharePoint site, providing specialized reference services, maintaining and developing the digital and physical collections, training and educating staff, and collaborating with the Library Committee. This is a part-time position (24 hours a week) and will initially be performed remotely due to COVID restrictions.
- Provide general, legal, and legislative reference services using expert knowledge, published and unpublished sources, and electronic databases, such as Westlaw.
- Develop and maintain Library SharePoint site, in coordination with FMSHRC SharePoint Administrator.
- Retrieve and disseminate appellate filings from Pacer.
- Evaluate the authoritativeness, currency, and relevance of specialized information available on FMSHRC-related issues.
- Manage electronic subscriptions and vendor relations.
- Curate, maintain, and distribute FMSHRC’s Digital Assets.
- Assist in library collection maintenance including: acquisitions; serials processing; shelving multiple formats of legal and other research materials; weeding superseded materials; shifting contents of shelves as needed; and ensuring that the library's physical collection is consistent with the electronic inventory.
- Review the veracity of the online library catalog; edit and verify catalog records for conformance with collection and established cataloging policies.
- Monitor library ordering and purchasing; maintain a Microsoft Excel spreadsheet for coordination with the Office of the Executive Director (OED).
- Monitor preserved materials to ensure adherence to established standards.
- Identify superseded materials; dispose of such material in line with Federal rules and regulations.
- Review brochures, websites, catalogs, and other sources for possible acquisition; assess materials acquired from different sources and identify the need for new subscriptions and renewals.
- Train FMSHRC staff in one-on-one or group instruction formats, via in-person, teleconference, or recorded sessions.
- Promote useful research tools and strategies to agency staff
- Prepare a library column for submission to FMSHRC’s newsletter "The Scoop."
- Monitor relevant newsfeeds and other sources for inclusion on library intranet/SharePoint pages and/or distribution to agency employees.
- Attend library committee meetings; keep the Committee informed of library activities, make recommendations,and respond to Committee concerns.
- Masters of Library and Information Science (MLIS) with a certificate in Law Librarianship OR Three years as a professional law librarian
- Demonstrated knowledge of mining and administrative law
- Solid understanding of legal documentation
- Expert SharePoint skills
- Experience with online legal research portals including Lexis, Westlaw and Hein
- Demonstrated knowledge of best practices and current trends and issues applying information technology to libraries and law practice
- At least 2 years of experience with vendor management, database and web technology within a law or business library
- Knowledgeable in integrated library management systems with proficiency in online research and legal databases
- Ability to learn quickly and work with multiple groups
- Excellent written and oral communication skills
- Experience training users in searching and use of legal databases
- Experience with library collection maintenance, both physical and digital
- Juris Doctor (JD) degree
- Experience in mining law
LAC Group is an Equal Opportunity Employer / Affirmative Action Employer who values diversity in the workplace.
This is a one-step application process. Please submit your résumé and a recruiter will review it and contact you if we are interested in your candidacy. A cover letter is not required. If we need a cover letter or writing sample, we will request it from you.