Integrated Library System Application Specialist - PA Integrated Library System
Location: USA - Virtual - RemoteThe Pennsylvania Integrated Library System (PaILS) is accepting applications for the position of Integrated Library System Application Specialist. The Pennsylvania Integrated Library System (PaILS) is a non-profit membership organization that provides access to a hosted open source Evergreen ILS software to a growing and engaged community of libraries in Pennsylvania.
We are seeking employees who are highly-skilled, productive, self-motivated and have a tendency to embrace change and automation through technology.
Successful candidates will work well independently and on collaborative teams using remote communication technology tools and in-person meetings to solve problems and implement ideas. PaILS staff keep up with current developments in technology and excel at customer service and support to help libraries around the state thrive.
- Provide application expertise as the intermediary between the open-source Evergreen Integrated Library System (ILS) software and the library staff who use it to serve patrons.
- Work independently and with teams to ensure member libraries and users are satisfied with software performance and support.
- Provide input into strategic direction for software development and technology planning to improve library resource sharing.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities:
- Oversee systemwide settings in the integrated library system to ensure optimal performance of application software for library staff and patrons.
- Ensure that automation system settings align with well-considered member library workflows and policies. Regularly review software settings and implement plans to ensure best use of features.
- Communicate with library staff, partners, and stakeholders, to build relationships and increase access to resource sharing through the software.
- Actively participate in advancing library technology use and the open-source software community.
- Contact member libraries by phone, email, and online tools to provide assistance in using the software application. Ensure that libraries are aware of system maintenance and changes.
- Update and keep membership contact information current. Oversight of mailing list membership.
- Manage the support desk software application and ticket queue. Ensure that requests and calls are answered in a timely fashion. Answer workflow, procedure, and policy-related ILS questions at a high level.
- Plan and lead integrated library system software and data projects.
- Oversee the on-boarding and data migration process for new member
- libraries. Attend meetings and help locations make decisions pertaining to preferred settings. Assist with data review and testing. Review collection mappings, circulation and hold policies, and notices. Attend Go Live Day.
- Coordinate testing and implementation of software developments and upgrades. Understand and participate in the software development lifecycle in the Evergreen open source community.
- Research, test, and recommend software development projects, bug fixes, and wish list features.
- Prepare data reports for the PaILS Board and membership. Analyze and report on community needs based on data and insights from member libraries.
- Create and present training and documentation, including audio/video and written content to support best practice uses of the software on the SPARKshared installation. Organize documentation/knowledge books.
- Organize and update support, training, and events calendars.
- Update library holdings through upload and testing of full file holding exports replacements each quarter.
- Attend professional development, training, conferences, and events.
- Other duties, tasks and responsibilities as required, assigned and directed.
Desired Skills, Knowledge & Abilities:
- Customer service attitude.
- Understanding of library staff and patron experience.
- Excellent written and verbal communication. Experience writing and updating policies, documenting procedures, and creating and delivering training using software and online tools.
- Experience in software application management. Working knowledge of integrated library systems or other software applications.
- Project management skills. Experience creating a project plan, facilitating meetings, developing task lists, estimating work effort, assigning timelines, tracking issues, and reporting outcomes.
- Problem solving skills and the ability to translate problems affecting one location into solutions helping a wider audience.
- Ability to manage multiple projects and priorities and work in conditions where regular interruptions occur.
- Quick learner, able to easily acquire knowledge of workflows and connected technologies.
- General knowledge of bibliographic records (i.e. MARC, RDA).
- Base level knowledge of SQL, HTML, CSS, XML, and SSL.
- Possess a valid driver’s license and be able to visit member library facilities using one’s own vehicle
- Degree or advanced study in technology applications or OR MLS from an ALA-accredited school of library and information science.
- Two or more years of relevant experience sufficient to perform essential duties of the position; or equivalent combination of training, education, and experience.
Application instructions:How to Apply: Send cover letter and resume as a single .pdf via email with subject line Integrated Library System Application Specialist to [email protected].
Applications will be accepted until position is filled with ideal candidate; review will begin immediately.
This is a one-step application process. Please submit your résumé and a recruiter will review it and contact you if we are interested in your candidacy. A cover letter is not required. If we need a cover letter or writing sample, we will request it from you.