Foreign Language Cataloger - LAC Group
Location: USA - DC - Washington DCLAC Group is seeking a Foreign Language Cataloger to work at a prestigious federal agency on Capitol Hill. The selected Cataloger will process titles in Hebrew, Yiddish, and/or Turkic languages by supplying required metadata in MARC21-compliant bibliographic records. The hours for this role are flexible but it is expected to be a part-time position.
- Utilize the Library’s ILS using knowledge of standard cataloging tools such as Resource Description & Access (RDA), the RDA Toolkit, Cataloger’s Desktop, Library of Congress Subject Headings (LCSH), MARC21, etc. to supply the required bibliographic information.
- Search each title to be processed to prevent the creation of duplicate records, process duplicate copies, and check authority control of headings used in access points.
- Complete the cataloging in the bibliographic record for foreign language titles in any subject area collected by LC, following the bibliographic record content guidelines
- Supply the required descriptive elements and Library of Congress Subject Headings for single-part monographic materials being cataloged.
- Identify and refer to LC staff any headings requiring authority work (name, title, or subject) for the materials being cataloged; the contractor is not required to perform authority work.
- Exercise care in the handling of Library materials to avoid loss or damage.
- Intermediate reading and writing ability of both English and foreign language skills for reading, analyzing and transcribing the works in Hebrew, Yiddish, and/or Turkic languages.
- 2+ years of cataloging or metadata experience including working knowledge of library databases, OCLC, AACR2, LCSH
- Must have expert knowledge of Resource Description & Access (RDA), the Library of Congress Subject Headings (LCSH), MARC 21, etc.
- Familiarity with the use of Cataloger’s Desktop and the RDA Toolkit is also required.
- Thorough knowledge and understanding of standard cataloging practices and applications in Voyager.
- Focused attention to detail and the ability to follow standard procedures in the physical handling and processing of materials
LAC Group is an Equal Opportunity Employer / Affirmative Action Employer who values diversity in the workplace.