Foreign Language Cataloger - LAC Group
Location: USA - DC - Washington DC
LAC Group is seeking a Foreign Language Cataloger to work at a prestigious federal agency on Capitol Hill. The selected Cataloger will process titles in Dutch, French, German, Italian, Portuguese, Russian, Spanish and/or Turkish by supplying required metadata in MARC21-compliant bibliographic records. Hours for this role are flexible and can be either full-time or part-time.
- Utilize the Library's ILS using knowledge of standard cataloging tools such as Resource Description & Access (RDA), the RDA Toolkit, Cataloger's Desktop, Library of Congress Subject Headings (LCSH), MARC21, etc. to supply the required bibliographic information.
- Search each title to be processed to prevent the creation of duplicate records, process duplicate copies, and check authority control of headings used in access points.
- Complete the cataloging in the bibliographic record for foreign language titles in any subject area, following the bibliographic record content guidelines
- Supply the required descriptive elements and Library of Congress Subject Headings for single-part monographic materials being cataloged.
- Provide dual-script descriptive cataloging data (in the original script and in transliteration) for Russian language titles, with transliterations conforming to the ALA-LC Romanization Tables for Russian.
- Identify and refer to staff any headings requiring authority work (name, title, or subject) for the materials being cataloged; contractor is not required to perform authority work.
- Exercise care in the handling of Library materials to avoid loss or damage.
- Intermediate reading and writing ability of both English and foreign language skills for reading, analyzing and transcribing the works in Dutch, French, German, Italian, Portuguese, Russian, Spanish and/or Turkish
- 1+ years of cataloging or metadata experience including working knowledge of library databases, OCLC, AACR2, LC and Dewey Classification;
- Must have expert knowledge of Resource Description & Access (RDA), the Library of Congress Subject Headings (LCSH), MARC 21, etc.
- Familiarity with the use of Cataloger’s Desktop and the RDA Toolkit are also required.
- Knowledge of Cyrillic script and letters is highly desired;
- Thorough knowledge and understanding of standard cataloging practices and applications in Voyager.
- Focused attention to detail and the ability to follow standard procedures in the physical handling and processing of materials
LAC Group is an Equal Opportunity Employer / Affirmative Action Employer who values diversity in the workplace.