Faculty, Reference Librarian - Lone Star College
Location: USA - TX - Conroe
Lone Star College System is seeking a Faculty Reference Librarian. The librarian's role encompasses the general areas of learning facilitation, personal and professional development, and institutional and community service. Reference services include developing or acquiring instructional materials and providing assistance to the community in the use of research and technology. Under the supervision of Library Director, provides appropriate professional reference and research and reader's advisory assistance. Develops and maintains assigned library collections; provides one-on-one and group instruction for library users.
PRINCIPAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Works with the campus and system librarians to incorporate library-developed instructional tools into the online course management system
- Provides reader’s advisory and reference services during the day, evenings, and weekends to meet student, faculty, and community research needs; Uses library catalog, the internet and databases to meet these needs
- Maintains the reference desk schedule, including the schedule for Library instructional classes
- Establishes annual objectives in consultation with supervisors
- Teaches students, faculty, and other library users to access and use print, audio-visual, and electronic information resources; Plans, organizes and delivers research instruction in ways that maximize student learning, information literacy and technology
- Promotes the use of general and subject-oriented print and electronic research guides and other instructional materials
- Evaluates, acquires, and provides access to information resources in a variety of formats to support student learning, and specific programs or courses
- Meets institutional service and professional development goals as determined in collaboration with dean/director
- Responsible for other reasonable, related duties as assigned
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES:
- Excellent interpersonal, customer service, oral and written communication skills
- Ability to effectively use computer technology in the performance of the job and in the classroom
- Ability to teach information literacy courses at a variety of times and locations in response to institutional needs
- Understanding of the importance of information literacy in developing student learning in an academic institution
The work is sedentary. Typically, the employee sits comfortably to do the work. However, there may be some walking; standing; bending; carrying of light items, such as papers, books, or small parts; or driving an automobile. No special physical demands are required to perform the work.
WORK SCHEDULE AND CONDITIONS:
- Equipment used includes, PC workstation running on a LAN in a Microsoft Windows environment, calculator, phone and other general office equipment
- Interface with internal and external contacts as needed to carry out the functions of the position
- Work is performed in a climate-controlled office/library/classroom environment with minimal exposure to safety hazards
- Master’s degree in Library Science/Information Science from an ALA-accredited institution
- Minimum 1 year of full-time or 2 years of part-time academic library experience, preferably at a community college.
- Experience with information literacy instruction including familiarity with the ACRL Framework.
- Experience with library print or digital resource acquisitions, web technologies, graphic and audio/video,editing software,and emerging/makerspace technologies,such as 3Dprinting or Virtual Reality Technology.
- Experience in collection development for sciences/health sciences subject areas.
Commensurate with education, experience and qualifications
Lone Star College-Montgomery
Lone Star College offers high-quality, affordable academic transfer and career training education to 99,000 students each semester. LSC is training tomorrow’s workforce today and redefining the community college experience to support student success. Stephen C. Head, Ph.D., serves as chancellor of LSC, the largest institution of higher education in the Houston area with an annual economic impact of nearly $3 billion.
LSC, which consists of six colleges, ten centers, two university centers, Lone Star Corporate College and LSC-Online, was named a 2017 Great Colleges to Work For by the Chronicle of Higher Education. To learn more, visit LoneStar.edu.
Lone Star College–Montgomery, the premiere student-centered educational institution in Montgomery County, serves The Woodlands and Conroe communities. LSC–Montgomery provides a relaxing and conducive learning atmosphere while offering leisure learning opportunities, individual classes, and unique programs such as radiologic technology, physical therapy, and biotechnology.
Campus address is 3200 College Park Drive, Conroe, TX 77384.