Digital Projects Librarian - LAC Group
Location: USA - MD - BeltsvilleLAC Group seeks an experienced Digital Projects Librarian for a position with our client, a prestigious government library located in Beltsville, Maryland. The Librarian will ensure the quality and standardization of descriptive metadata can be used across the agency’s various products. This is a full-time (40 hours a week; Monday-Friday) benefited contract position. The work must be performed on-site.
- Creation and maintenance of a metadata/taxonomy governance plan necessary to maintain the library division’s digital collections.
- Working with subject-matter experts across the organization to assess their requirements for organizational metadata standards and devise the processes necessary to refine and enhance them.
- An MLS or similar degree plus 2-3 years’ experience working with metadata standards and digital objects
- Understanding of the use of metadata schema and tools (in particular MODS, PubMed and JATS)
- Understanding of the use of the controlled vocabularies, such as the NAL Thesaurus
- Expertise with using the Oxygen XML editor and/or Saxon to perform XSLT transformations on large files of metadata
- Experience with archival theory and practices and archival management systems.
- Skill with query languages such as SQL, SPARQL, and Solr
- Knowledge of using and extending content management systems including Drupal and Omeka
- Knowledge of the Linux operating system and use of the command line
- Demonstrated knowledge and experience with open source digital repository systems and related technology including audit/fixity software, file forensics, media conversion, and editing metadata for digital objects, especially MODS and FOXML
- Knowledge of utilizing computer technology and software (e.g., word processing, spreadsheet, and database software; web-based tools)
LAC Group is an Equal Opportunity Employer / Affirmative Action Employer who values diversity in the workplace.