Conservation Support Technician - LAC Group
Location: USA - DC - Washington DCLAC Group is seeking an experienced Conservation Technician for an opportunity with a prestigious federal library in Washington, D.C. The Technician will work onsite in support of collection conservation and preservation alongside senior Conservators. This is a long-term part-time (estimated 20 hours/week) contract position.
- Conservation treatment of a wide range of paper-based materials including manuscripts, books, serials, newspapers, musical scores, drawings, etc.
- Preparation of treatment plans and reports
- Collection assessments and surveys to identify required courses of action and establish priorities for treatment and/or stabilization
- Preparation and encapsulation of materials in protective housing including polyester film, mats, drop-spine boxes, and other custom enclosures
- Performance of special conservation treatments including surface cleaning, paper repair, mending, labeling, rehousing, disbinding.
- Assist senior conservators as directed
- Preparation of documentation including written and photographic records of all treatments
- Handle all materials with care, protecting the work areas from food, dust and moisture at all times
- Two (2) years of experience in conservation supervised by a senior conservator
- Evidence of continuing training and familiarity with current techniques, procedures, and materials in conservation of library materials
- Familiarity with the Code of Ethics and Guidelines for Practice of the American Institute for Conservation (AIC)
- Experience with unbound and bound manuscripts, architectural drawings, photographs, maps, works of art on paper vellum, rare books, and other complex items
- Experience surveying a collection to identify next steps is preferred
LAC Group is an Equal Opportunity Employer / Affirmative Action Employer who values diversity in the workplace.