Cataloger - LAC Group
Location: USA - DC - Washington DCLAC Group is seeking an experienced Cataloger to work on a project at a prestigious national library in the Washington DC area on a short term basis. The cataloger will provide original and copy cataloging in addition to providing support on various physical processing of library items. Candidates must be familiar with AACR2, RDA, and MARC21 formats as pertain to monographs, serials, and A/V. The ability to work at a quick pace and with a close attention to detail is required. This is a full-time position and must be performed on-site.
- Perform original (including complex) and copy cataloging of all formats of library materials to facilitate their identification, access, and use.
- Interpret and apply Library of Congress subject headings, the Dewey Decimal System, the AACR2, RDA, and the Online Computer Library Center (OCLC) manuals in cataloging and classifying library materials.
- Maintain authority records and perform needed authority work in the database.
- Consult with libraries in order to resolve cataloging and database problems, report trends in bibliographic services, answer questions, transmit information, and discuss options for handling library materials.
- Provide inventory support
- Develop constructive and cooperative working relationships with internal staff, staff from member libraries, and other relevant community leaders.
- Keep records of inquiries, complaints, and comments, as well as actions taken for members.
- Provide accurate and timely information in a language and format that is easily understood by members and colleagues.
- Perform database maintenance for bibliographic and authority records.
- Loads MARC record files for member libraries and communicates necessary changes.
- Maintain the integrity of the integrated library system through authority file control
- MLS from an ALA-accredited institution
- Must have 3-5 years of cataloging experience.
- Must have experience using the RDA, Library of Congress Subject Headings (LCSH), and MARC 21 cataloging standards.
- Must be able to physically process library material: create and affix spine labels.
- Ability to catalog in foreign languages is a plus
- Experience in cataloging art and art-related materials is preferred.
LAC Group is an Equal Opportunity Employer / Affirmative Action Employer who values diversity in the workplace.