Cataloger - LAC Group
Location: USA - MD - RockvilleLAC Group is seeking an experienced Cataloger for an academic institution in Rockville, MD area to provide original and copy cataloging in addition to providing support on various physical processing of library items. This position requires familiarity with AACR2, RDA, and MARC21 formats as they pertain to mostly monographs, including serials and A/V. The selected candidate must have the ability to work at a quick pace and with close attention to detail. This is a full-time position that will continue through the end of 2019. Work must be performed on-site during business hours. The chosen candidate must be able to pass a background check.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities:
- Perform original (including complex) and copy cataloging of materials to facilitate their identification, access, and use
- Interpret and apply Library of Congress subject headings, Library of Congress Classification System, AACR2, RDA, and the Online Computer Library Center (OCLC) manuals in cataloging and classifying library materials
- Consult with libraries in order to resolve cataloging and database problems, report trends in bibliographic services, answer questions, transmit information, and discuss options for handling library materials
- Provide inventory support
- Develop constructive and cooperative working relationships with internal staff, staff from member libraries, and other relevant community leaders
- Keep records of inquiries, complaints, and comments as well as actions that are taken for members
- Provide accurate and timely information in a language and format that is easily understood by members and colleagues
- Perform database maintenance for bibliographic and authority records
- Loads MARC record files for member libraries and communicates necessary changes
- Maintain the integrity of the integrated library system through authority file control
- MLS is not required but is preferred
- Must have 3 years of cataloging experience
- Must have experience using the RDA, Library of Congress Subject Headings (LCSH), and MARC 21 cataloging standards; Minimal training is available
- Must be able to physically process library material: create and affix spine labels
- Experience with Voyager is a plus.
LAC Group is an Equal Opportunity Employer / Affirmative Action Employer who values diversity in the workplace.
This is a one-step application process. Please submit your résumé and a recruiter will review it and contact you if we are interested in your candidacy. A cover letter is not required. If we need a cover letter or writing sample, we will request it from you.