Business Librarian - University of San Diego
Location: USA - CA - San Diego
The University of San Diego's Copley Library seeks an energetic, entrepreneurial-style Business Librarian to serve as the inaugural fully embedded librarian in the Knauss School of Business. This is a 12-month tenure-track faculty position. Reporting to the Dean of the University Library, the Business Librarian will work onsite in an office located in the innovative, state-of-the-art Knauss building scheduled to open Fall 2022 to fully integrate the librarian into this school. This librarian serves business students at all levels -- undergraduate, graduate, and certificate programs.
The Knauss School of Business' purpose is to teach business as a force for good. The school is committed to developing socially responsible leaders with a global mindset through academically rigorous, relevant and values-based education and research. The Knauss School of Business' degree programs have achieved the highest level of international recognition by being fully accredited by AACSB International for over 30 years. Also, the school has been ranked among the top graduate and undergraduate business schools in the United States and the world.
The School includes eight centers and institutes: the Accountancy Institute, the Ahlers Center for International Business, the Burnham-Moores Center for Real Estate, the Supply Chain Management Institute, the Center for Peace and Commerce, the Entrepreneurship and Innovation Catalyzer, the Brink Small Business Development Center, and the Free Enterprise Institute. The School serves 4,600 students and has 90 full-time faculty and 35 part-time faculty members. For more information about the new Knauss School of Business Facility, see https://www.sandiego.edu/president/writings-addresses/2021/knauss-school-2021-12.php
The Business Librarian will be deeply engaged and work across a broad-based constituency in the Knauss School of Business. This individual is responsible for cultivating a strong collaborative and consultative relationship with faculty and students through one-on-one in-depth research consultations, collection development, and instruction for both undergraduate and graduate programs in face-to-face, hybrid, and online environments. Teaching responsibilities will include curricula and research support, library research methods classes, course-integrated instruction sessions, online education courses, specialized trainings, and workshops. In addition, the Business Librarian will assist faculty and students with APA style, altmetrics, impact factors, literature reviews, copyright, publishing opportunities and procedures by locating data sets and statistics, and grant writing research support. The librarian will have experience using SpringShare products and creating tutorials and understanding the academic landscape regarding open educational resources, scholarly communication, and electronic resources. The Business Librarian will periodically present at the School of Business faculty and department meetings. This librarian is responsible for promoting a positive image of the library in the School of Business.
This embedded librarian will be fully integrated into the school and possess the skill set and interpersonal abilities that will allow him/her to professionally build a rapport with and advocate for business faculty and students. The Business Librarian will consult with the Digital Initiatives Librarian to promote the library's institutional repository and refer the business faculty and students to appropriate offices and services on campus. This librarian will collaborate on other services and new initiatives with the Business faculty and Copley Library faculty, as well as serve on business, library, and university committees. Performs other duties as assigned.
To apply, visit https://apptrkr.com/3027933
Special Conditions of Employment:
The University of San Diego is requiring all employees to follow our Covid-19 vaccine requirement process. https://www.sandiego.edu/onward/
Background check: Successful completion of a pre-employment background check.
Degree Verification Requirement: Persons offered employment in this position will be required to provide official education transcripts for degree verification purposes.
- ALA accredited MLS or MLIS is required;
- Minimum two years Business Liaison Librarian experience in an academic or research library or corporate setting;
- Conduct consultations in-person, phone, email, and chat;
- Provide instruction through course sessions, tailored workshops, and online modules on relevant topics;
- Possess significant knowledge of business literature and scholarly communication practices, e.g., Bloomberg Terminal, WRDS, and ABI/Inform;
- Experience serving online students and faculty and working remotely;
- Adept at using resources to support instruction, e.g., Blackboard, LibGuides, EndNote, and tutorials as well as keeping up with emerging technologies;
- Demonstrate ability to work collaboratively or independently;
- Ability to work some evenings to conduct instruction sessions or consultations;
- Demonstrate evidence of self-motivation, intellectual curiosity and the ability to learn quickly;
- Excellent oral, written, and interpersonal skills with strong customer service orientation;
- Approaches work from an equity and inclusion perspective in dealing with students and faculty;
- Record of active membership in professional associations and scholarship (presentations and publications) to meet reappointment, tenure, and promotion criteria.
- Work experience in corporate/industry environment;
- Prefer a graduate degree in data science, business, economics, or related field;
- Strong teaching and presentation skills; maintains currency in pedagogical practices and strategies;
- Familiarity with information literacy outcomes and assessment;
- Monitor and develop best practices for business librarianship;
- Capable of adapting to change in the School of Business and Copley Library;
- Experience with software, e.g., Excel, SPSS, Tableau, and Stata and programming languages, e.g., R, Python, or others;
- Experience with data science and big data.
Rank and salary commensurate with experience. Minimum salary $77,617. The University of San Diego offers a very competitive benefits package.
- Medical insurance;
- Dental, Vision, Life and Disability Insurance;
- Retirement plan 403(b) (immediately vested);
- 24 paid vacation days as well as holidays;
- Tuition Remission available to you, your spouse, or a dependent;
- Rent assistance for the first year;
- Faculty home buying program;
- Moving expenses covered (up to $5,000);
- Access to Faculty Research Grant funds;
- One day per week devoted to research;
- One day per week work remotely;
- Conference/travel money;
- New faculty orientation stipend;
- Access to wellness resources, including on-campus fitness centers.
Please visit the benefits section of our website http://www.sandiego.edu/hr/benefits// and https://www.sandiego.edu/provost/administration/recruitment-and-relocation.php to view all of the perks and benefits that USD has to offer.
Special Application Instructions
Click Apply Now to complete our online application. In addition, please upload the following documents (please do not send any additional materials):
- Letter of application;
- Curriculum Vitae;
- Names, addresses and telephone numbers of four professional references (colleagues, liaison faculty, and previous supervisors).
Deadline: Formal review of application will begin June 10, 2022 and continue until the position is filled. The selected candidate can begin work immediately.
Questions can be directed to Dr. Theresa S. Byrd, Dean of the University Library, (619) 260-2370, [email protected] If you have any technical questions or difficulties please contact the Employment Services Team at 619-260-6806, or email us at [email protected]
Princeton Review ranked the University of San Diego #6 most beautiful college campus in the nation. The University of San Diego, a contemporary and engaged Roman Catholic institution, was founded by the Diocese of San Diego and the Society of the Sacred Heart in 1949. Student enrollment 9,041 undergraduate, paralegal, graduate and law students. The university is an equal opportunity employer committed to diversity and inclusion and is especially interested in candidates who can contribute to the diversity and excellence of the campus community. Candidates from underrepresented and underserved groups are encouraged to apply.
The University of San Diego is a smoking and tobacco-free campus.
For more information, visit http://www.sandiego.edu/smokefree
To apply, visit https://apptrkr.com/3027933