Branch Manager, Lakewood - Pierce County Library System
Location: USA - WA - Tacoma
The Pierce County Library System seeks a Branch Manager to lead and support our largest branch in the community of Lakewood and provide supervisory support to community branches in Tillicum and Steilacoom. The Lakewood Library is located in the second largest city in Pierce County, adjacent to Joint Base Lewis-McChord, and is a vibrant and diverse community. This position sits on the library’s Leadership Team, helping guide the library’s mission, strategy, and work plan development. This leadership position is responsible for effectively managing operations and activities of the Lakewood branch; participates in system-wide planning and projects; actively engages the community and ensures service aligns with local residents’ needs; oversees collection; interacts with and provides direct library services to customers.
- Manages, coordinates and facilitates branch operations or system-wide strategic initiative area of assignment.
- Leads the work of public services, circulation, branch collections, reference services, youth services, library programming, community relations, and building/facility management functions.
- Acts as management’s principal in-house representative at the branches or with system-wide strategic initiatives in which they are assigned.
- Is an integral member of the management team in evaluating the delivery of services at the branch and service level, allocating personnel to the service delivery at the branch(es) and initiating building and service functions.
- Interacts with and provides direct library services to customers
- Develops and delivers library services and programming with a Librarian team
- Serves as a representative of the Library within the local community, government and Friends groups as well as directs and facilitates other staff members’ engagement in the community.
- Develops and administers initiatives that align with the library’s strategic plan, in partnership with the Customer Experience leadership.
Class specifications are intended to provide a descriptive list of the range of duties performed by employee in the class. Specifications are not intended to reflect all duties performed within the job.
- Ensures and prioritizes the delivery of high-quality, customer-focused services; assists in ensuring the Library’s services appropriately meet the needs of the community and provides safe and welcoming spaces.
- Acts as principal representative at the assigned branch or strategic initiative assigned area for all functions; plans and coordinates branch operations through others for additional assigned branches or strategic plan initiatives.
- Participates in the development, implementation, and administration of system-wide projects, plans, policies, and procedures; and assures the library meets specific goals.
- Responsible for achieving public services goals, priorities, and levels of service that support the Library’s Strategic Plan. Consults with Library Management regarding how best to achieve goals, priorities and service and how best to allocate resources.
- Analyzes service delivery and continuously scans for service improvements to ensure branch or initiative areas are achieving departmental and organizational goals.
- Hires, trains, supervises, coaches, develops, engages, and evaluates the performance of assigned personnel; collaborates with cross-departmental staff on a wide variety of functions, and ensures staff compliance with Library and departmental policies, procedures, and service standards.
- Works through others to manage and develop staff and supervisors in hiring, training, development, staff engagement, disciplinary action, performance evaluations and matters in relation to the Collective Bargaining Agreement.
- Responsible for budget planning and ensures allocated resources are used effectively.
- Serves as a member of Leadership Team to bring forward, discuss and make decisions in regards to PCLS projects, policies, priorities, resources, labor matters and budgets. Participates in strategic planning.
- Oversees, coordinates and maintains community engagement and contact with agencies, community organizations, city/county representatives and businesses.
- Oversees the maintenance and development of branch library collections in partnership with Collection Management; ensures collection materials appropriately meet the needs of customers.
- Responds to inquiries and provides direct service to library customers; interprets and explains the Library’s policies to customers and staff; addresses and resolves customer complaints.
- Instructs customers in the use of the Library’s equipment, computers, website, databases, and services. Performs reference and readers’ advisory services.
- Plans, develops, and delivers library programming and presentations; promotes and educates the public regarding the Library’s services, programs, and materials.
- Supports and provides guidance to Friends Groups of assigned branch libraries.
- Develops professional Library staff in achieving outstanding services and programs for Pierce County communities.
- Manages Library projects and programs in support of the library’s Strategic Plan.
- Performs other duties as assigned or required.
Additional Duties and Responsibilities for Initiative Managers
- Develops and administers system-wide, strategic initiatives that align with the library’s priorities.
- Directs the ongoing development and enhancement of the customers’ reading and learning experience, in person, online, and in the community.
- Coordinates and partners with staff in the Customer Experience Department, and all administrative and support departments.
- Develops and administers Customer Experience initiatives and programs in coordination with the Leadership Team.
- Leads teams in development of strategies in coordination with Customer Experience Team and System initiatives.
- Oversees Volunteer program and coordinates Friends activities in consultation with Administrative Team, and Pierce County Library System Foundation.
- Oversees system-wide strategies to serve our diverse communities
- Develops and administers services initiatives for youth, teens, and adults through multiple communities of practice, leads community engagement to serving agencies and schools, directs initiative programming and outreach services; coordinates interaction with local partners.
Minimum Requirements including Education, License or Certifications:
- Master’s Degree in Library Science (MLS/MLIS) required, and
- Five years librarian experience, including three years supervisory experience; OR
- Any combination of education and experience which would provide the required knowledge and skills and allows successful performance of the job.
- State of Washington Librarian Certification is required.
- A valid Washington State Driver’s License is required.
- Must pass criminal background screening prior to hire.
- The ability to work evenings and weekends on a rotating schedule and to adapt to schedule changes on short notice is required.
- Ability to effectively navigate basic electronic record creation and storage (e.g. timecard/HRIS, performance review, network drive storage)
- Use of basic office equipment (e.g. PC, printer, phone, fax, mouse, security alarm)
- Basic keyboard and alpha/numeric data entry skills
- Basic PC navigation skills in a windows based environment; ability to connect and print
- Ability to navigate, search and use basic web functions and applications
- Intermediate MS Office Suite skills (e.g. Outlook, Word, Excel) to satisfactorily complete job responsibilities
- Experience with time and attendance systems or processes
- Ability to collect, audit, analyze data sufficient to formulate recommendations and make decisions as required by position
- Experience in ebook management (branch roles only)
- Experience with Integrated Library System, Inventory or Data Management system (branch only)
- Ability to document instruction, troubleshoot, and teach basic level MS Office Suite (e.g. Outlook, Word, Excel) to satisfactorily complete job responsibilities.
- Troubleshoot and teach basic level questions regarding the above
- Presentation software
- Work order systems
- HR systems
Please submit an application at the following link: http://tiny.cc/a1c46y
In addition to completing the application, a cover letter and resume are required. To be considered for this position, please apply and submit required documentation through our site no later than the closing date, 5:00 p.m. on Thursday June 3rd, 2019. Applications received after the deadline and resumes received without cover letter will not be considered.