Assistant Managing Attorney - LAC Group
Location: USA - CA - Los AngelesLAC Group is seeking an Assistant Managing Attorney for a position with a prestigious international law firm! The successful candidate will assist the Managing Attorney in guiding the litigation process for the firm’s Western Region and can work in Los Angeles, Palo Alto or San Francisco.
- Render advice on a broad range of procedural issues and strategic concerns in all stages of the litigation process
- Provide detailed analysis of federal, state and local rules procedure; Perform research on rules changes and communicate those changes to the litigation teams.
- Assist with overseeing day-to-day operations of the Managing Attorney’s Office, including supervision of court filings, calendaring critical deadlines and review of papers for compliance with local rules and practices
- Coordinating and performing calendaring functions, including maintaining a calendar of litigation deadlines for contested matters and communicating deadlines to firm-wide litigation teams and preparing reports upon request
- Coordinating and performing court services functions including researching and retrieval of court documents in paper and electronic databases, reviewing and filing court documents, processing daily litigation mail and coordinating use of process servers
- Coordinating service of subpoenas and providing research on proper recipients
- Preparing procedural roadmaps to assist attorneys in navigating complicated court filings
- Provide advice to litigation attorneys regarding forms of pleadings and interpretation of court rules in local and remote jurisdictions
- Filing responsibilities include maintaining an awareness of upcoming filing deadlines, communicating deadlines to litigation teams, coordinating staff and resources necessary for timely filing, reviewing filings for content and format prior to submission to courts, confirming redaction of confidential material and distribution of copies to litigation teams
- Maintain familiarity with e-filing procedures and vendors for all courts and arrange for e-filing training for staff
- Coordinate court admissions for office and establish workflows for addressing incoming and departing attorney’s admissions
- Maintain electronic court filing (ECF) passwords
- Use online research platforms to provide high level legal research with respect to procedural and strategic issues across many jurisdictions
- Draft court forms and routine documents such as Notices of Appearance, Notices of Substitution and Applications for Admission Pro Hac Vice
- Work with the Managing Attorney to develop and present attorney and staff training programs; participating in orientation of new local office attorneys and staff
- JD degree from an accredited university; California Bar admission preferred
- Minimum of three to four years of experience as a practicing litigation attorney and/or attorney in a Docket/Calendar/Litigation Services environment is desired.
- Knowledgeable in federal procedure and California state rules of procedure. Ability to research and analyze procedural rules and statutes as necessary.
- Effective written and verbal communication skills. Excellent presentation skills. Knowledgeable in various litigation-related deadlines and methods of calculating dates.
- Demonstrated business acumen; ability to think critically and use sound judgment under tight deadlines.
- Ability to provide excellent client service. Receptive and responsive to client needs. Solution-driven.
- Ability to effectively collaborate and develop productive working relationships with team members, other administrative groups, and clients.
- Knowledge of online research tools including Westlaw, Lexis/Nexis, Courtlink and Lex Machina
LAC Group is an Equal Opportunity Employer / Affirmative Action Employer who values diversity in the workplace.
This is a one-step application process. Please submit your résumé and a recruiter will review it and contact you if we are interested in your candidacy. A cover letter is not required. If we need a cover letter or writing sample, we will request it from you.