Adult Services Librarian - Pierce County Library System
Location: USA - WA - Tacoma
Pierce County Library System's Bonney Lake and Summer Branches are each hiring an Adult Services Librarian.
Performs a variety of professional librarian functions on behalf of the Pierce County Library System; provides daily service support to all ages, while emphasizing focused services to assigned audiences and/or specialties, including but not limited to, youth, teen, and/or adult to ensure successful delivery of Library’s initiatives; collaborates with staff to assist with service and program delivery; provides leadership and instruction regarding the implementation of services, equipment and resources; participates in maintaining and evaluating assigned collection materials; plans and presents programming of interest to the community; evaluates community needs and plans strategies to address needs at the local level; manages projects and works effectively with project teams; represents the Library to the community; and performs other specialized duties relative to area of assignment.
Class specifications are intended to provide a descriptive list of the range of duties performed by employee in the class. Specifications are not intended to reflect all duties performed within the job.
- Delivers high-quality, customer-focused services to diverse customers of all ages. Will be assigned to serve audiences such as youth, teens, and adults for specific service and library initiative areas.
- Ensures service to assigned audiences is grounded in appropriate learning principles, research-based approaches, and work to meet organizational goals.
- Responds to public inquiries regarding the Library’s operations, programs, services, materials, and resources.
- Conducts complex reference interviews and provides readers’ advisory, research services and instruction in person, online and other various formats.
- Interprets, communicates and applies the Library’s policies and procedures; addresses and assists in resolving customer concerns, incidents and complaints.
- Provides instruction and assistance to customers in the use of the Library’s equipment, catalogs, databases, public website, internet, and/or computer software applications; troubleshoots equipment issues.
- Conducts a variety of routine library work including customer circulation, receiving and processing holds and/or interlibrary loan requests for customers.
- Develops, coordinates, promotes, delivers and evaluates public programs, presentations and customer experience training, both inside and outside of the library; prepares and maintains program materials.
- Prepares and provides outreach services in the community, schools and other sites that have been selected based on operational criteria and delivers appropriate levels of service.
- Communicates effectively within assigned locations, communities of practice, and organizationally, ensuring that all levels of the organization knows about the customers’ experience.
- Creates displays and assists in the coordination of branch displays to ensure community appeal.
- Provides service delivery outside of the library facilities and engages in community outreach activities.
- Participates in the maintenance and development of assigned library collections; evaluates and identifies materials for repair, replacement, weeding, and/or reassignment.
- Develops and maintains web and social media content under the direction of CE leadership.
- Serves as a representative of the Library to outside agencies, community groups, and the general public; establishes and maintains positive community relationships.
- Attends, facilitates and participates in a variety of roles within meetings, workshops, seminars, and/or conferences; stays apprised of trends and developments in the field of public library operations.
- Provides leadership, collaboration and project management to advance library initiatives.
- Acts as Person in Charge.
- Prepares and maintains various types of departmental records, databases, lists, and documentation.
- Participates in updating and maintaining online content for area of assignment.
- Demonstrates punctuality and regular and consistent attendance.
- Brings matters of public concern regarding waste, inefficiency, corruption, discrimination, and safety to the attention of Library Management.
- Performs other specialized duties relative to area of assignment as assigned or required.
Core Skills & Qualities / Leadership Competencies
Employees are expected to demonstrate the following qualities at all times:
- Customer Focus
- Problem Solving
- Change and Learning
- Positive Attitude
- Professional Integrity
Required Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
The employee is expected to perform or possess the following:
Minimum Requirements including Education, License or Certifications:
- Master’s Degree in Library Science required
- Ability to obtain a State of Washington Librarian Certification.
- Depending on area of assignment, a valid Washington State Driver’s License may be required.
- Must pass criminal background screening prior to hire.
- The ability to work evenings and weekends on a rotating schedule.
- Ability to effectively navigate basic electronic record creation and storage (e.g. timecard/HRIS, performance review, network drive storage)
- Use of basic office equipment (e.g. PC, printer, phone, fax, mouse, security alarm)
- Basic keyboard and alpha/numeric data entry skills
- Basic PC navigation skills in a windows based environment; ability to connect to a device and print
- Ability to navigate, search and use basic web functions and applications
- Intermediate MS Office Suite skills (e.g. Outlook, Word, Excel) to satisfactorily complete job responsibilities
- Integrated Library System, Inventory or Data Management system experience
- Presentation Software
- Search & Retrieval system experience or ability to work with Bibliographic data to satisfactorily complete job responsibilities
- MOS Certification or equivalent in MS Office Suite
- Integrated Library System, Inventory or Data Management system — Polaris
- Digital media, digital collections and ebooks
Physical and Environmental Conditions:
- Work is conducted in a normal office setting or library environment that provides comfortable lighting, temperature and air conditions and/or regular contact with public. When delivering service outside of Pierce County Library locations, weather, physical, and environmental conditions will vary and work will adhere to additional Pierce County Library safety protocols.
- Occasional light lifting, such as three to four reams of paper, four or five books, or other library materials up to 35 pounds may be required.
- Subject to sitting and standing for extended periods of time, walking, bending, reaching, and lifting objects weighing up to 30-35 pounds. May lift or push up to 50 pounds as needed. Must be able to lift and carry library materials and push/pull loaded carts.
- Work environment involves everyday risks or discomforts that require normal safety precautions typical of such places as offices or meeting rooms, e.g. use of safe work place practices with office equipment, and/or avoidance of trips and falls and observance of fire regulations.
- Work may be performed in a library environment and involve regular contact with the public, and/or require push/pull loaded carts.
- Sick Leave
- Medical, Dental, and Basic Life Insurance
- Long-Term Disability
- State Retirement System
- Employee Assistance Program
- Employees have an opportunity to participate in the Tax Sheltered Annuity Program and the Deferred Compensation Program
- Additional life insurance for the employee and family is available through payroll deduction.
Please apply through the following link: https://piercecountylibrary-openhire.silkroad.com/epostings/index.cfm?fuseaction=app.jobInfo&version=1&jobid=583
Application Instructions & Requirements: In addition to completing the application, a cover letter and resume are required. To be considered for this position, please apply and submit required documentation through the Pierce County Library site (link above) no later than the close date above. Applications received after the deadline and resumes received without cover letter will not be considered.
Closing Date: 5:00 p.m. on Thursday, May 23, 2019